GSAC Members

The GSAC is composed of a representative from each department in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources as well as the College of Health Sciences that are housed on South Campus. These departments include Animal and Food Sciences, Plant and Soil Sciences, The Longwood Graduate Program, Entomology and Wildlife Ecology, Applied Economics, Biomechanics and Movement Science, and Applied Physiology. Each member serves as a liaison  for their program and is responsible for getting all GSAC information to their constituents. The GSAC meets once per month to discuss and resolve issues regarding graduate student life on south campus as well as planning social events as a means to maintain a sense of community and enhance graduate student life.

Meet our Members:

Kristi Bear, GSAC Chair

kristibear

Plant and Soil Sciences
E-mail: kbear@udel.edu
Bio:

I am beginning my M.S. degree program in Plant and Soil Sciences! My research in the environmental biogeochemistry lab at UD includes tracing phosphate pollution in the Chesapeake Bay back to its source. My interest in soil science developed after taking a mandatory intro to soils course in undergrad and realizing how much life exists and action occurs under our feet every second! I grew up in a rural town in Wyoming. Living about an hour away from mountains in every direction and far from any big cities helped me create a habit of spending almost all of my free time in the outdoors- whether backpacking, biking, fishing, or trying out other new things. That is where you can find me when I’m not in the lab!

Shani Craighead, GSAC Co-ChairShani-image-1yu9x55

Animal and Food Sciences
Email: scraig@udel.edu

Bio:

I am currently a Ph.D. student in the Department of Animal and Food Sciences. I am also an UD alum, I completed my B.S. (2014) in the ANFS Department! I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA, which only about an hour away from UD. Currently, my research focuses on the persistence of foodborne pathogens on produce. I love reading, biking, going on adventures, and lab work, of course!

Daniel WhitneyLab (2)

BIOMS/Kinesiology and Applied Physiology
E-mail: dwhitney@udel.edu
Bio:

I am a PhD in training in the Applied Physiology program here at the University of Delaware. I received my B.S. in Kinesiology at the University of New Hampshire (where I much prefer that weather!) and moved down here to the “deep south.” I have two dogs named Bonez and Adipoze which corresponds to my research interests as I study musculoskeletal and adipose physiology. Currently, our lab is investigating a high-frequency low-magnitude vibrational therapy on muscle, bone and adipose health in children with neuromuscular disabilities. These children and their families are amazing which makes graduate life a little easier…….just a little though! In my spare time, I enjoy being outdoors with my pups, exercising and enjoying a beer with good company!

Xu Wang

Plant and Soil Sciences
E-mail: wangx@dbi.udel.edu
Bio:

My name is Xu, a Ph.D. student in the department of Plant and Soil Sciences. I’m originally come from Beijing, which is the most well-known metropolis in China for many reasons. I study on plants and my research focuses on plant molecular biology, cellular biology, specifying plant cell-to-cell communication. I’m also interested in bio-imaging techniques. Although I don’t have much leisure time, I spend most of my time outside study on various outdoor activities like hiking, backpacking and rock climbing. I know almost nothing about photography, but I love taking pictures and enjoy capturing the memorable moments in our lives.

David M. Kalb

Entomology and Wildlife Ecology
E-mail: dmkalb@udel.edu
Bio:

I am Ph. D. Candidate in Wildlife Ecology and Entomology.  I came to UD from upstate NY in 2008 to work on my Master’s degree.  I really enjoyed the experiences that I had and knew that I wanted to stay for my Doctorate.

My current research focuses on dietary competition of an introduced cervid (sika deer) with the native white-tailed deer in our area.  I analyze fecal material to determine the degree of dietary overlap across a range of deer abundances.  I am able to calculate these deer abundances by collecting DNA from fecal samples through noninvasive field sampling and lab work.  Despite all the jokes that come up, it’s really not a crappy job!

I am the T.A. for a fun class wildlife research techniques.  I also teach Mammalogy and associated labs (ENWC 425/625). I served 3 semesters as a representative of my department in the Graduate Student Senate, and 8 semesters as departmental representative for Graduate Student Advisory Committee.  You can find me every spring at my graduate student garden plot and during the summer in the UD outdoor pool.

Lindsey Kerr

Longwood Graduate Program
E-mail: lkerr@udel.edu
Bio:

Lindsey Kerr is a first year fellow in the Longwood Graduate Program in Public Horticulture.  Originally from Ann Arbor, Michigan, she holds a Bachelor of Arts in History from the College of Wooster and a Master of Historic Preservation degree from the University of Georgia.  She has a keen interest in public gardens and landscape preservation. Her graduate research focuses on creating a model for long-term preservation of public garden plant collections.  In her free time, she volunteers at Longwood Gardens and oversees the graduate student community garden.

Jaclyn B. Caccesecaccese_1

Biomechanics and Movement Science
E-mail: jcaccese@udel.edu
Bio:

I am a Ph. D. student in the Biomechanics and Movement Science Program.  I came to UD from the University of Pennsylvania where I did my undergraduate degree in bioengineering. I am originally from Mountain Top, PA, which ironically enough, is not at the top of a mountain. My current research focuses on concussion identification.  I also teach KAAP 350, Basic Concepts in Kinesiology. Finally, I love to run. I have run several marathons and even a 50-mile race in the Finger Lakes National Forest!