Spain: New Study Spots

Submitted by Cameron Kravitz on the 2022 spring semester program in Madrid, Spain…

These past few weeks in Madrid have been more slow-paced and relaxing in comparison to the prior weeks, which was really refreshing especially while studying for and completing our midterm exams. Although, I have dedicated a lot of my time towards schoolwork recently, I have learned that it is important to maintain a healthy balance regarding my academic responsibilities and other activities. In order to make studying more enjoyable, I tried out new cafes as well as the rooftop of one of our study halls – both of which quickly became my two new favorite study spots! I also took the metro to walk around and read at Retiro Park a couple of times since the weather has been so sunny and warm lately. Afterwards, I would go to Mercado de San Ildefonso for lunch, which is one of my favorite food places here. In this market, there are so many different food options and cuisines to choose from, including Korean food, Mexican food, and Japanese food. Last week, we also went to a candlelight tribute concert, which was such an amazing experience! The concert that we went to consisted of four violinists playing Taylor Swift songs, and we are already planning to go again when they have a tribute for another artist.

My time in Spain so far has been incredible and I already feel like I have learned so much. Not only have I been able to balance my priorities more and establish a better schedule for myself, but I have also improved with speaking in Spanish and traveling around Madrid. Before coming to Spain, I did not know any Spanish and although I am still not great, I have definitely picked up on common phrases and am able to get around more comfortably. I also have been navigating the metro better as well as recognizing more and more of my surroundings. As my time continues here, I am looking forward to bettering these skills and becoming even more familiar with this city!

Lunch at Mercado de San Ildefonso
View from my Dorm Room
Candlelight Tribute Concert