Singapore: Singapore Zoo and Night Safari

Submitted by Rebecca Beswick on the 2022 spring semester exchange program with the National University of Singapore…

During the recess week, which was the last week in February, I purchased tickets to the Singapore Zoo and surrounding wildlife attractions. Singapore actually has four major wildlife parks: the Singapore Zoo, River Wonders, Jurong Bird Park, and Night Safari. Each park is incredibly large and designed with an open layout, and has animal species – many of which are threatened in nature – from all around the world. My favorite park was the Night Safari, which allows visitors to explore in the nighttime when all is dark and the nocturnal animals are out. I was able to see these animals interact with each other and their environment, and it was cool to see their personalities come out. Something that I noted about the zoo was their devotion to conservation and conservation education. They funded many international and regional conservation projects, had a breeding center for endangered birds, but most importantly set out to teach children and adults alike the importance of animal diversity and what they can do to help.