Hawaii: Sad to Leave

Submitted by Elizabeth Donovan on the 2022 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the College of Health Sciences…

As my time in Hawaii comes to an end, I am very sad, yet very grateful for all that I have learned and all the amazing connections I have made with fellow UD students. On Monday, I visited Pearl Harbor where I got to see the USS Arizona Memorial and go aboard the USS Missouri. It was a very sober experience that I am grateful to have been able to have had. The goal of the visit to Pearl Harbor was to see the role the nurses at Pearl Harbor played. Not surprisingly, nurses were not mentioned much and there was little in the Pearl Harbor Museum about nurses. This was very devastating to me as I had done a lot of research before going and knew how important the nurses were to the survival of so many people on December 7, 1941.

Exterior USS Arizona Memorial
Interior USS Arizona Memorial
USS Missouri (where WW II ended)

On Tuesday, I visited Hanauma Bay where I was able to connect with aquatic life. I was able to snorkel and see so many fish. This made me feel very connected to Hawaiian culture. Throughout the week I have enjoyed many delicious meals. I had a kale salad with papaya and island fish. I am really enjoying eating in season in Hawaii and trying new foods. I had never had papaya before, so this was a new experience for me.

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay
Kale salad with fresh vegetables, fruit, and island fish.

On Wednesday, I went to Kailua Beach. Here, I spent time with new friends and even tried a new activity. I learned how to paddleboard, and it was an amazing experience. I even got to see a sea turtle swimming in the water.

Enjoyed a meal with friends at sunset on the beach

Although my time in Hawaii is coming to an end, I will never forget the culture I have learned here. I will also never forget all the friends and experiences I had.