Ireland: Coming Home Early

Submitted by Cooper Rothman on the 2020 spring semester program in Limerick, Ireland…

As you all already may know, the COVID-19 situation rapidly changed and at the time the President restricted travel to or from the United States, the Center for Disease Control raised Ireland’s danger level in relation to the pandemic. This forced my program to end, and for myself and my classmates to board the first flight home. The first affordable flight after hearing this news was three days away, so I spent my last days getting ready and taking everything in. I was very disappointed that I couldn’t travel to other countries on trips I had already planned, and even more so to leave the friends that I had made during my time abroad.
After the technicalities were worked out on how I would get home, my roommates and I took trips to Dublin and Limerick City to get gifts for our families and friends. It was surreal seeing everything for the last time, but to also see the lack of people in the streets. We had been to both these places just a few weeks ago, but now the streets were empty and the lights were out. Luckily, I was able to get everyone gifts as stores remained open before we left.
My final night at the University of Limerick, I took a walk on the living bridge and reflected on my entire experience. I was glad to have visited most places in Ireland and to have made such amazing friends during my time abroad. Even though the program was cut short, at least I can say I was in Europe during the COVID-19 pandemic. I’m still in contact with everyone I met abroad, and while we aren’t together at the moment, I’m sure they are all happy to be home with their families during this difficult time.
My last walk on the campus of the University of Limerick as the sun sets on a great journey.