Spain: Walking Around Madrid

Submitted by Emma Straw on the 2020 spring semester study abroad program in Madrid, Spain…

This week in Madrid was beautiful. My friends and I (pictured below), had a picnic around the Temple of Debod in the Rosaleda del Parque del Oeste. We celebrated finishing our midterms and watched the sunset with drinks and snacks. We also spent hours shopping on Calle Fuencarral, a popular street that divides the neighborhood of Chueca and Malasaña (my favorite in Madrid!). After shopping and enjoying our time exploring the city, we ended with a big birthday celebration for my friend Sofie (second from the left) at a bar that has a beach in the basement! Talk about innovation!

Being back in Madrid this weekend felt really comfortable and relaxed, something I’m beginning to notice is simply a characteristic of Spain. With one of the lowest crime rates in Europe, Spain is extremely safe, and it feels that way walking around. I see the young, the old, and everyone in-between walking the streets of Madrid at all hours of the day and night – something I rarely see in the United States. Madrid has proven to be a city built for everyone and its relaxed, peaceful nature has been amazing to experience.