Ireland: Rugby and Sports Culture

Submitted by Cooper Rothman on the 2020 spring semester program in Limerick, Ireland…

One thing I’ve noticed from being in Ireland is that when it is finally nice outside, people will often play with rugby balls and hurling sticks. The differentiation in sports culture is really amazing to see, because at home my friends will often play with an American football or a frisbee. Sports have always been a part of my life at home, from being a fan of the Green Bay Packers football team or playing frisbee with my friends at school. When the opportunity came to watch the local Munster Rugby team play in Thomond Park for free this weekend, I knew I had to take advantage and get to know the differences between our sports cultures more. In classic Irish fashion it was a terrible day and Storm Jorge made it rain and pour all the way to the stadium. However, when I got there, it cleared up and made the stadium look beautiful at night. Thomond Park is about 5 kilometers outside of Limerick City, and the fans that came out in the storm were incredible. I was expecting to be one of the only people there, but I was sitting in a crowded row for the whole game.

The game itself was everything I love about sports and sports fans. Despite not knowing a lot about rugby scoring, my friends and I managed to follow along and get very excited for the important plays. At one point, a fight broke out amongst the players and being in the stands for that certainly was an experience. After a Munster team win, I felt more pride about where I was staying in Ireland and the identity that comes with living in Limerick and the surrounding area. I definitely hope to go back in the future, but I have to make sure to get to a hurling game before that.

My seat overlooking the rugby pitch at Thomond Park