UD Abroad Blog

Go Explore.

UD Abroad Blog

Go Explore!

UD Abroad Blog

Go Explore.

UD Abroad Blog

Go Explore.

Belgium: New Language with a Familiar Face

Submitted by Cooper Rothman on the 2020 spring semester program in Limerick, Ireland…

This weekend, I travelled to the capital of Belgium, Brussels. The architecture around the city was amazing, especially the Grand Place. Standing in the middle made me feel like I was walking in a travel magazine. I had the opportunity to meet up with a friend studying in Copenhagen for the semester, and talking with her about life at UD in comparison to life abroad allowed me to put the experience in perspective. I hope to travel with her again for spring break, only a few weeks away!

What really blew me away about Belgium was the variety of languages spoken. In the United States, most people I know can only speak English while many people in Belgium speak French, English and even Dutch. Studying abroad in Ireland has not really exposed me to a major language barrier yet, so experiencing that when buying train tickets and doing mundane tasks was a very interesting experience. Luckily, my friend Beckey is much more experienced in travel and helped me out a lot along the way.

Brussels has been my favorite trip so far studying abroad because of the culture, the food, the people, and the overall experience with my friend from home. I am excited to travel more in the upcoming months and see more of this great big world we live in.

Beckey and I walking in the Parc du Cinquantenaire on a sunny Saturday.