Nostalgic for Portugal

Submitted by Karthi Jayakumar on the 2020 winter session program in Portugal sponsored by the Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences and College of Arts and Sciences…

The last week in Portugal was truly bitter sweet.  Now that I am back in the United States, I keep listening to the music we fell in love with on repeat. I am getting major nostalgia. Below is a picture with our three site leaders João, Madalena, and Bernardo at our farewell dinner. These three coordinated everything, from living, food, the hospital shadowing program, and our excursions. The experience would not have been the same without them. It was incredibly hard to leave them in one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to.

During the dinner they gave us personalized mugs with messages from each of them. Our site manager João even wrote “Dear” in Hindi because we bonded over his recent travel to India. I am going to treasure this mug and the experience I had in Lisbon for the rest of my life.
From watching heart surgery to witnessing awake brain surgery, shadowing abroad was truly a one-of-a-kind experience. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible!