Morocco: Breathtaking Sahara Desert

Submitted by Maymuna Siddiquea on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Morocco sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

With the program ended, I will recount how the last week went. There is one experience that sticks out immediately, something that is unique to my study abroad location. It’s something that I had been looking forward to ever since I first saw the itinerary months ago. And I can safely say, that it lived up to the expectations, and much more. This experience is the adventure in the Sahara Desert. This was a once in a lifetime experience that was unlike anything I have ever done before. Sitting there, on top of a camel surrounded by untouched sand dunes on all sides that stretched for miles, while the sun set in Africa, was such a beautiful moment. The serene aura of it all was breathtaking. It only got better once the sun set and all the stars came out. Without light pollution, the dark sky is painted with sparkling stars, with shooting stars visible left and right. Morocco provided the unique study abroad location to be able to have this opportunity. It was truly remarkable.

Camels walking over a dune as the sun in setting, Erg Chebbi, Merzouga, Morocco