Last Week in Panama

Submitted by Elise LaFramboise on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Panama sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

This was my last full week in Panama! We spent three days at Las Aldeas, which is a shelter for children who are orphans or victims of abuse. It’s been so cool to spend time there and talk to the children! We play games with them and spend time with them for a few hours. It’s such a cool organization and the kids are so sweet, I’ve loved playing with them and talking to them! I think they are some of the people that have taught me the most about the culture, as I’ve learned a lot from watching them interact with each other and talking to them! This week, I also learned about the Chinese culture in Panama. There are a ton of Asian markets and restaurants here! My friend and I shopped in the stores and ate in a restaurant. It was cool to see a new culture in the country we’ve been in for almost a month. I’m very sad that my time in Panama is ending soon.

Waterfall in Valle de Anton
Selfie with classmates at Cerró Ancón
Sunset at the Cerro la Silla hike
Cerró Cara Iguana hike in Valle de Anton