Copenhagen: A Group Project to Study Frederiksstaden

Submitted by Clara Hernandez on the 2020 spring semester DIS program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

This past week, I was able to branch out and visit a new section of Copenhagen. I was assigned a group project to study Frederiksstaden. This part of the city was gorgeous, and the architecture was a stark difference from the inner city of Copenhagen.

Compared to winding streets and asymmetry, Frederiksstaden has straight and narrow roads. My partner and I visited various monuments such as Amalienborg Palace, Amaliehaven Gardens, and Marmorkirken. Standing on the edge of the water looking in at the city, you can see Marmorkirken being framed by the palace and the gardens. I was amazed by the Rococo style of the architecture in this part of the city. The buildings are grand, with gold gilding and rolling scroll work. Of course, it’s unlike anything I’ve seen back home. I am in total awe that the Copenhageners get to see this architecture every day and I consider myself grateful that I got to experience this new portion of Copenhagen!

A picture of Marmorkirken “The Marble Church” that showcases the classic Rococo style seen in many of the buildings in this area.
The grounds at Amalienborg Palace, home of the current royal family