Australia: Cooking Class with Chef Julie Goodwin

Submitted by Mia DeRicco on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Australia and New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Hospitality Business Management…

I can now say I took a cooking class alongside a famous Australian Chef Julie Goodwin. This experience is one I will never forget. It not only taught me more about Australian cuisine, but also made me more confident in my abilities to cook and bake! Part of the program I am on is all about learning about the cuisine of Australia and there is no better way than to learn hands on!

Julie first taught us how to make Pavlova, which is a white cake that is hard on the outside and spongy on the inside similar to the texture of a marshmallow. This dish is famous in Australia and when topped with fruit is absolutely delicious! Seeing how simple the recipe was makes me eager to share this Australian tradition with my friends and family back at home! The main course we made was seafood risotto. Throughout my time in Australia, I have seen firsthand how popular seafood is within Australian culture. Since Australia is surrounded by water and has access to fresh seafood, it is understandable why it is so popular and tastes extremely fresh! Julie Goodwin also prepared a lamb for us to eat along with the two dishes we prepared. I got to smell different Australian spices that are used on many dishes and that she seasoned the lamb with. I felt immersed in Australian cuisine and it aided my knowledge on what makes Australian cuisine and culture different from ours back at home.

Pavlova topped with fruit
Seafood Risotto with Squid, Salmon, and Shrimp