Uruguay and Argentina: Sense of Community in the Cities

Submitted by Sara Bixler on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Argentina sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

This past weekend, our group traveled to Uruguay to visit Colonia and Montevideo. Colonia (which is pictured below) is a historic town that was one of the first areas in Uruguay to be settled. Montevideo is a more urban city, although this town is also surrounded by the river and there are many beaches lining the edges of the city. After living in Buenos Aires for the past few weeks and after visiting Montevideo, I have come to appreciate the active lifestyle of the people who live in these cities. I think it is a common assumption that people tend to walk instead of drive due to traffic and the pure convenience of many places when you live in the city. I think this is true in cities in Argentina, as well as in the United States. However, I have been surprised by how many people I have seen running or working out in the various parks throughout Buenos Aires and Montevideo. Many of the parks even have outdoor workout machines that people actually utilize. In addition, young families with children spend a lot of time in the parks together, and groups of people are often seen drinking Mate (a type of tea) together. The sense of community is very strong within these cities, despite the fact that it is a city. I found this rather surprising, because I do not think cities in the U.S. tend to have this same environment.

Colonia,Uruguay