Argentina: Market in San Telmo

Submitted by Mariapia Scotto Di Carlo on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Argentina sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

I am writing my final reflection on going to El Mercado in San Telmo, also known as the Fiesta de San Telmo. This was an incredible experience for me because ever since we visited San Telmo on a group tour, I always wanted to go back. Lucky for me, we had some extra time this week so I and my housemates were all able to not only go back and see it again, but also experience the market. It was a long cobblestone street filled with amazing back to back vendors that stretched so far, by the end, we reached the Casa Rosada in Playa de Mayo (another thing we wanted to see for a second time actually)! I think the coolest thing to me was actually what each vendor was selling. On the left side of the street, tons of vendors were selling antiques of all kinds. Anything from old pesos, to plates, to old Coke bottles from the World Cup with soccer teams on them. On the right side of the street, there was anything and everything to buy. These items were along the lines of homemade jewelry, mate cups, art by local painters, Mafalda merchandise, and so much more. Upon walking further down the street festival, there were even stores – especially chocolate stores and those with homemade sweets handing out free samples. My housemates and I all walked around and were buying little gifts for our family and friends, but my favorite part was actually speaking with the vendors and hearing where they were from, or how they got into making their jewelry or selling what their products. They were so funny and it was cool to be integrated in the culture and learn their motives as to what they were selling. It was also amazing how it was all outdoors on such a beautiful day. It reminded me of a farmers market in the United States, but with so much more than fruit. I am so grateful I got to spend the Sunday at the market in San Telmo, it was beautiful, and I loved it!

Here is the picture I took for my Week 4 Reflection at the Fiesta de San Telmo in Buenos Aires, Argentina! This is a photo of street art, which one of the vendors was selling. It was just one of the many things being sold in the street on a beautiful day!