Spain: Halloween

Submitted by Nicole Caracciolo on the 2019 fall semester study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain…

This was my first time spending a holiday in another country. Halloween is celebrated much less intensely in Spain than in the United States. During the day, I saw a decent amount of very young children who were dressed in costume, but no one really above the age of 7 or 8 years old. Only some shops and restaurants had decorations. Trick or treating is not nearly as popular here because everyone lives in apartments, so it would be very difficult to get in and out of the residences if you don’t live there. The only instance of trick-or-treating I saw was in a convenience store in my neighborhood. About 5 middle school-aged children came dressed in costumes and the cashier gave each of them a couple of pieces of candy. They celebrate All Saint’s Day (the next day, November 1st) more seriously. Many businesses are closed and they sell their traditional chestnuts on the streets.

My friends and I went to a Barcelona soccer game! We had a great time and went to drink out of the FCB fountain on La Rambla after Barcelona took the win.