Spain: Supporting Each Other

Submitted by Nicole Caracciolo on the 2019 fall semester study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain…

On Monday of this past week, a girl in my class approached me as we were waiting to go on our field trip asking if I or the girl sitting with me had 1.50 Euros on us. She left all of her money at home by accident and didn’t have a card on her either – failing to realize this after she already ordered a coffee. I, of course, willingly give her all the spare change I had, which was about 1 euro, but the girl sitting with me seemed really reluctant to help her out. She almost seemed annoyed, but she gave her some change anyway. I knew it was the right thing to do to help out our classmate since we are all still getting adjusted to being in a new country and sometimes we have our off days. She was so thankful we were there to help her since no one else around her was a student or spoke English. I know if I was in her situation I would’ve wanted my classmates to do the same thing for me, especially since it was less than 2 Euros she was asking for.

We spent the weekend in Zaragoza, Spain with the Barcelona SAE program. In the background is the Cathedral of Pilar.