Spain: An Easier Than Expected Transition

Submitted by Daniel Bailey on the 2019 fall semester study abroad program in Granada, Spain…

I’ve been in Granada now for about three weeks and it has already exceeded my expectations. Before I came, I was worried about being in a new country and not being able to speak Spanish well enough. I quickly learned that I was not the only one who was nervous, and that I had a great support system with everyone in my program. My host mom is so caring and understanding, which made the transition slightly easier. Taking the intensive Spanish course has greatly helped my Spanish skills, and there are plenty of opportunities to practice outside of class. I’ve attended two “intercambios” where English speakers can practice their Spanish with native Spaniards, and I’ve met some pretty cool people. I’ve gotten the chance to explore a lot of the city so far, but there is still so much to see. I love hanging out with everyone in my group, I can’t imagine being here with anyone else. The city is already starting to feel like home. At this point I still have three months left so I can’t wait to see how this semester continues to surprise me!

Standing by the olive tree supported by the Granada Institute of International Studies.