France: Apartment in Paris

Submitted by Haleigh Kidd on the 2019 fall semester program in Paris, France…

I have to first say how lucky I am to have had previous travel experience before this I entered this program. Week 1 has been hectic and tiring with all that had to be done to move into my apartment and orientation and all that jazz, but at least I was prepared for the jet- lag! After a week, I am still tired (though it’s getting better by the day) and I am still figuring out the nooks and crannies of my Parisian apartment because they are quite different then those back home. For one, I have no dryer, so all clothes must be hang dried and ironed – I often have to set aside at least an hour out of my laundry days just to do the ironing. I also don’t have an oven in my apartment, and some foods are impossible to find here in France or they go in and out of season – unlike in America where just about any grocery store would have anything you need. But don’t mistake this for complaining, it’s actually really helped me to get to know my roommate (who, by the way, has been the sweetest and so easy to live with). The Paris metro system is also, in my opinion, the best public transport system in the world and my apartment is located in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Paris – my point being, although I have had to make some adjustments, there’s still a lot to be excited about and I’m learning to adapt in new ways every day. Paris is truly a very colorful city and through shopping for the apartment, visiting local outdoor markets, and navigating the trains and  buses both in and out of the city, my roommate and I are getting lots of French practice every day and we have high hopes of improving by the end of the semester. There have been many pleasant surprises as well – I have been able to find vegetarian, dairy-free, and even vegan options (which was very exciting as someone with dietary restrictions) and most museums across the city are completely free on the first Sunday of the month. My roommate and I visited the Musée d’Orsay just earlier today, which is home to one of the world’s largest collection of impressionist pieces, so those are the pictures I will share with you today (seriously, I almost teared up walking through the halls filled with Monet, Renoir, Degas, Cézanne, Manet – there’s really too many to list!)

Self-portrait of van Gogh
Monet’s Water Lilies
Typical lovely and cozy Parisian café/restaurant (notice how some of the chairs point towards the street for “people watching”)