Czech Republic: Social Anxiety in Prague

Submitted by Emily Gray on the 2019 fall semester program in Prague, Czech Republic…

While I have loved my time here in Prague, I have also had some days where my anxiety has gotten the best of me. Leaving the comfort of my home is hard, even harder when I don’t know where I’m going. I’ve found the best defense of this is exploring the city as often as possible. It is so easy to spend a morning in bed watching Netflix, justifying my laziness as the result of a long week. However, every second I spend outside reminds me of how lucky I am to live here. I was feeling pretty homesick this week, but visiting a vineyard with my friends this Saturday renewed my appreciation for Prague. I met locals—mainly a beekeeper named Peter—and saw the city from new and incredible views. I also got closer with my classmates, and learned the value of confiding in my new found friends. 

You don’t have to go to a vineyard to learn these lessons—you don’t even have to leave your own neighborhood. The most mundane chores can expose you to new sights and experiences. For instance, my friends and I study in different coffee shops or restaurants to get out of the house while still getting our work done. I will challenge myself to go beyond my comfort zone this semester and discover everything Prague has to offer. In doing so, I hope to overcome my anxiety and grow even more as an individual.