England: Quiet Week in London

Submitted by Natalie Hett on the 2019 summer session program in England sponsored by the Department of Art & Design…

Week four was a bit on the quieter side compared to the weeks prior that were packed full of visits and speakers. The week started at Noble Rot, the award winning restaurant and wine bar that has an accompanying magazine. I was hopeful that I’d enjoy the food even though I knew how fancy and out of my comfort zone it was. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised by how tasty everything
was. I was especially wowed by the cheese plate which featured three rich and unique tasting cheeses. The dessert (a chocolate mousse) was decadent and rich as well, but I was in such
a food coma by dessert time that I could barely finish it.

The Design Museum was another visit during week four. We visited the Stanley Kubrick exhibition. I had never heard of Kubrick before the exhibition so I was amazed by his range of
work. He excelled at being able to accurately produce movies of all genres including crime, drama, war, sci-fi and many more. I loved learning about his career and I left so inspired by his
work ethic. He would research for years before starting a movie to make sure everything was perfect.

Lastly, we made a visit to Abbey Road. I didn’t even recognize the famous crosswalk because there was so much traffic on the road, but we did stop traffic for a moment to take the picture like
the Beatles did. We signed the pillar at the entrance of the studios with “VCUK’19”, and left our mark!

I really enjoyed having a quiet week to catch up on my work and process my thoughts about London.