Italy: Breath-taking

Submitted by Carmine Capalbo on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in Italy sponsored by the Department of Philosophy…

As this is my first time in Europe, I was going in with the mindset to be open to the new culture and everything that comes with it, trying to prepare the best I can for that culture shock. And it turns out I was not ready for it at all, there was no way I could have been.

My first “wow” moment was when we arrived at our dorm in Rome. I got to my room, opened the window to see what the view is and across the street on the roof of the apartment building I see a nun watering her garden. Growing up with my Italian Grandma always working and telling me about her garden really made me step back and have that feeling of “wow, I am really here right now”. From then on, I’ve been taking in as much as I can and loving every second of it. Walking around the city of Rome, I’ve been able to witness and appreciate the ways Italians live their life and how it differs from that of Americans. This has given me a new way to look at the way I’m living my life, and the what’s and why’s of what I am doing and like to do.

The norms and arrangements of the stores and restaurants here is also something that has caught my eye. For instance, there is a café down the street of the dorm I am staying at where I learned the Italian norm that when you order coffee you drink it at the counter right there and never really bring it to go. I haven’t seen one Italian drinking a coffee in the streets or while walking and I thought that was pretty interesting thinking of how much people in America do it. Another experience that will never get old is walking through certain streets and plazas and seeing the live performers and people doing all kinds of things of that matter. It amplifies the Italian culture and shows me the true colors of their heritage, skills and is very pleasurable to watch and hear. Getting to see places like the Vatican, St. Peter’s, the painting of the Last Judgement, the Sistine Chapel and all the other breath-taking places and objects has been an experience of a life-time already in this short first week and I can’t be more excited to have three more weeks here of many more new experiences.