New Zealand: Kia Ora – Hello!

Submitted by Yasmine Bassou on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology…

Kia Ora! I am still in disbelief that I have arrived in New Zealand! The people are unbelievably friendly and the views are absolutely stunning. I just met with my new group for our scavenger hunt project, and we did some exploring around the town. After we checked out the octagon, visitor center & some coffee shops, we all hiked up to Signal Hill in Dunedin. I may not be able to feel my calves, but the view was beyond worth it. I have hiked many places in the United States before, but no view compares to these, it feels like I’m in the wild! I’m a little homesick, but I have a feeling that will pass. I still get service in New Zealand thanks to my wireless plan, but the time difference is pretty big (an entire 18 hours). I’m really optimistic about our study abroad group, because even though everyone is different, we all get along well on so many levels! Sports and exercise have always been a major part of my life, whether it was learning to participate and cooperate in team sports, or long distance running by myself. This is another main reason why I am beyond excited to embrace and experience everything this program has to offer! Maybe I can even check out games native to  New Zealand such as cricket or rugby before the end of the program.

Hiking up Signal Hill and embracing the beautiful views
Fun free day exploring St. Clair’s Beach, a local shore in Dunedin
Group photo at Tunnel Beach
Exploring the rocks and caves at Tunnel Beach