Thanksgiving In Spain

Submitted by Anna Hemelt on the 2018 fall semester study abroad program in Granada, Spain…

This week was Thanksgiving, and it was bittersweet to be outside of the United States for the holiday. We had classes on Thanksgiving, and on the days surrounding it, and it was strange to know it was the holiday, but not celebrate it. Each study abroad program here hosts a Thanksgiving dinner for the American students. Although it is not the same as a traditional home-cooked, family Thanksgiving dinner, it is one step closer to being home.

I have learned that you can find many homes across the world. I have a home back in Delaware with all my friends from school. I also have a home where I grew up. And now I have a home here in Granada. I have found friends who are like family, and who I would do anything for. Being able to make these connections and to find these friends while studying abroad, traveling, and living life to the fullest is amazing.

I only have three weeks left in Granada, which is disappointing. My time here is coming to a close, but the valuable lessons, both in and outside of the classroom, that I have learned will stay with me throughout my life. So far, I’ve learned the value of understanding different cultures, and being respectful of those who are not like me. I have also learned the importance of making connections with people all around the world, because you will just never know who you could meet. I am so excited to explore more of Granada in the next three weeks before I come home, and to learn new things in the coming weeks that will be applicable to my whole life.