Farming in New Zealand

Submitted by Erin Jackson on the 2018 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Animal and Food Sciences…

I didn’t know a lot about agriculture before my study abroad program to New Zealand. Suffice to say, I learned a lot about farming during my month there. However, one of the greatest things that I learned was that every farmer has their own story of how they got to where they are. I’d like to start by sharing one of the stories that stuck with me the most.

Scott McFadden was born and raised on a farm. While his father and brother ran it, he worked other jobs, including one as a ski instructor in the United States. However, when it was clear his help was needed, he returned home to the family farm and now he manages it. Scott was one of the most positive people I’ve ever met. Even though it may not have been his plan initially, the way he’s made the farm his life is inspiring, and so is his attitude about everything he does. A few years ago, one of the worst droughts in New Zealand history hit the area surrounding Scott’s farm. He had to make decisions that hurt him to the core to make, but he did what had to be done. He sold a huge percentage of his sheep, ones that he had bred for the purpose of living and breeding on his farm. He confided in us that the act made him feel like a loser. He admitted his mental and emotional struggles, but also that he went to support groups and found solace in being able to share his struggles with other farmers. Not many farmers are able to do this, however. While the drought hit him hard, there’s a few reasons that Scott still has his farm today. The first was his imperative decision to diversify his farm in order to balance his risks. When faced with all types of weather and natural disasters on such a small island nation, you simply cannot afford to put all your eggs in one basket. So among other things, Scott took up forestry. His ability to fall back on the timber trade when his wool production decreased as a result of the drought saved his farm. Another saving grace for his farm was his quick decision making and ability to trust his gut, two things that he told us were vital in New Zealand farming. A few weeks before the drought ended, Scott decided to go ahead and buy more sheep. Other farmers, as well as his bank, thought he was crazy when he asked for the loan to invest in re-stocking his reduced sheep numbers. But he had an instinct that told him to buy more sheep then, and only weeks later the drought cleared and sheep prices rocketed.

From all the farms we visited, we heard personal stories that complemented the stories told of the histories of the farms themselves, as well as the management practices because it is all so intertwined. Farming in New Zealand is a lifestyle, but it’s different for everyone. John Ackland’s farm, Mt. Peel, had been in his family for generations, and it was ever-growing and ever-changing. In fact, it was so successful, they created a white water rafting business on the Rangitata River which flows through their vast property. We also heard from the family on Gumshade Farm about the previous farm owner, Haymitch, and his love of sheep; unfortunately, shortly before Haymitch’s passing, the sheep were sold and the farm was converted to a dairy farm. The family now is awaiting the arrival of new irrigation water that will come shortly upon completion of the Central Plains Water Scheme, an irrigation system that will bring water across the Canterbury Plains, connecting almost 60,000 hectares of farmland.

We heard many stories throughout our program, but certain factors resonated throughout all of them. The most important seemed to be adaptability and a positive attitude. Without the ability to make changes to management practices, farming in such an ever-changing landscape would be nearly impossible. And the more one could see these changes as good and trust their instinct to make them, the better their chances for success and a happy lifestyle on their farm. I hope I can carry the things I learned from such a diverse group of welcoming and down-to-earth people with me wherever I go next.