A Rainy Weekend in Rome, Italy

Submitted by Natalie Kaucic on the 2018 spring semester program in Rome, Italy…

How-To Guide: Making the Best of a Rainy Weekend

First of all, you’re in luck if your rainy weekend happens to fall on the first Sunday of the month because then all of your museum visits are FREE!

And if that little tip didn’t give it away, the answer to making the best of a rainy day in Rome are museums! Rome does not lack history and certainly does not lack the museums that tell the story of Rome’s over 2,000 year old history. Seeing that the last weekend in February was going to have a constant downpour, I decided to make a game plan on how I would make the best of my weekend here in Rome. Since I plan, usually to a fault, I got my notepad out and started my gameplan.

Goal: 4 museums in 3 days

Micro-Goals: Drink hot chocolate, consume copious amounts of coffee and pile on the paninis

The Game Plan for a Delightful Cultural Experience:

Friday: Monet Exhibit

Saturday: Villa Farnesina and The Jewish Museum of Rome

Sunday: Use the 5 hours of sunshine in the morning to see the Villa Borghese Gardens, then visit the Borghese Museum.

THE RESULT:

Pure magic. If anyone tells me they are bored in this eternal city, I might implode.

FRIDAY:

The Monet Exhibit (a temporary exhibit in the Wedding Cake building) was exceptionally well done. They really captured the essence of the artist. This was the first time that I saw a Monet in person and I can attest to the wonder and excitement that the paintings cause when you see them in person. It was a such a special experience that his waterlilies are still dancing in my mind. Truly exceptional.

SATURDAY:

Visiting Villa Farnesina was likely the most serendipitous moment that I have had in Rome. I’m following Google Maps and all of a sudden I am right next to the John Cabot Guarini Campus… It turns out that my school is right next to Villa Farnesina and I had no idea that one of the most stunning fresco works of Rafael was in the villa right next to my school. A whopping 3 euros got me into one of the most beautiful villas I have ever laid eyes on. The colors, the detail and the stunning expressions of the people painted in the Renaissance works was absolutely breathtaking. I walked through the house twice because it was just so spectacular.

The Jewish Museum was really educational. They provided a free audio tour which was really helpful. They did a great job of really introducing Judaism and Jewish culture so that even someone not Jewish, like myself, could appreciate the art in the museum. I was also able to go into the Jewish synagogue which was truly extraordinary.  The difference between a Catholic church and a Jewish synagogue was staggering and I found it interesting to compare and contrast the two. The biggest difference I found was that Jewish people don’t idealize their religious figures so their places of worship are free from any images of these persons.

SUNDAY:

The Borghese Gardens are the Roman version of NYC’s Central Park. This extraordinary park is filled with dog walkers, playgrounds and lush trees. The crowning jewel of the grounds is Villa Borghese which is home to the Borghese Gallery. This gallery is so popular and spectacular that it is necessary to purchase your tickets at least a week in advance. Inside this villa is something truly spectacular. Well, if I am to be honest, there are many spectacular things in this villa. This Renaissance gem has artwork from Bernini (Sculptures: Apollo and Daphne and The Rape of Proserpina), paintings by Carrivagio, DaVinci, Raphael, Titian and more. The difference between Villa Farnesina and Villa Borghese is that I knew the Borghese Gallery woudl not disappoint and I was correct.

Moral of the story is notto let a little reain ruin your cultural experience of a city, especially if that city is Rome.  So get that magical cup of hot chocolate, put your rain boots on, stomp in a couple puddles and find your rainy day paradise.

Raphael Fresco
Jewish Synagogue in Rome
Monet painting Train in the Snow

Monet painting Wisteria
The Rape of Proserpina– Villa Borghese – Bernini