Snacking My Way Around Europe

Submitted by Lindsay Lerner on the 2017 fall semester study abroad program in London, England…

So far, I have spent weekends in France and Germany. I have been eating my way around each country savoring the local dishes and trying everything offered. The following is some of my favorites from each country. Overall, I will say I enjoyed the food in these countries more than traditional British foods. There is an age-old argument that English food isn’t good yet I don’t think that’s the case. It’s just got a lot of stiff European competition. The Indian food I have found in the Camden Market is incredible as well as the Chinese food I tasted in China Town. Overall, it’s important to remember London is a diverse multicultural ethnic center that features authentic global cuisine.

Germany:

• Pretzels (Breze(l) are delicious. Unlike the firm ones from the United States, these are doughy and soft. The twisted knot is covered in salt and stretched so they are bigger than a soccer ball.
  • Sausage (Bratwurste) are way better than the American equivalent. They are served on a fresh baked roll and topped with whatever you prefer. Personally, I topped mine with a ketchup like sauce. There are a variety of German sausages including Frankfurters, Rindswurste, Knackwurst and Bockwurst. There is also a sausage with curry sauce dish called Currywurst that I did not try, but know it is tremendously popular in Germany.

France:

• Croissants are even more buttery and flaky in France. These crescent shaped pastries are incredible and can be found at any café in Paris. The chocolate filled ones were my absolute favorite
  • Snails (Escargot) is surprisingly yummy. I was truly scared to give snails a try, but they sort of taste like a garlicky buttery chicken dish. Traditionally, the snails are cooked in a garlic butter outside their shell and then put back in their shell and sauced for serving. They are served on a metal tray with snail tongs and forks as well as a basket of bread to soak up the sauce.