England: Important Lesson

Submitted by Joey Woodward on the 2017 summer session program in London, England sponsored by the Department of English…

I’m in Heathrow airport, waiting for my 10:35 am flight to Philadelphia airport and home. I’m exhausted and ready to be home, but I will also miss London. I had so many amazing experiences during my stay. Yesterday, we went up to the top of the Walkie Talkie building. They have a sky garden there. It is this big open lounge area with a garden and a breathtaking view of the London skyline.

View from the top of the Walkie Talkie building.

View from the top of the Walkie Talkie building

On Thursday, we went to Holland Park, which is one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in London. It is also very near the site of Grenfell Tower. It is difficult to comprehend the devastation of the fire until you see the building in person. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to be there during the fire. The building was a charred husk with broken windows. It was also silent. None of us spoke as we took in the tragic sight. I will never forget seeing that building.

On Monday, I did something that took me out of my comfort zone more than anything else I had done during my stay in London. As part of my final project for class, I had to interview someone. Most of my classmates chose to get in contact with someone to set up a meeting (which, in hindsight, was probably a good idea) but I decided to interview a stranger. I kept on putting it off because I was nervous, but I finally did it. I found an older woman who worked in a newsstand shop. The funny thing about interviewing is that you get nervous and work yourself up for mostly nothing. The woman, her name was Nargis, was very nice and willing to talk. She was from Mumbai, India, but lives in London now. It is interesting to share a conversation with someone whom before that day you didn’t know existed and probably will never see again. It really puts into perspective just how many people are on this planet and how they all have lives separate from my own. I learned and experienced a lot in London, but that might be one of the most valuable lessons I learned.