Spain: Bonfires of San Juan

Submitted by Marissa Kissinger on the 2017 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

This Thursday, I was sitting at the dinner table with my host mom when she began telling me about a celebration called “San Juan.” The Bonfires of San Juan is a traditional and popular festival celebrated during Midsummer, which takes place on the evening of 23 June, St. John’s Eve. I immediately messaged my friends and told them I was cancelling my tickets to Valencia for the weekend and going to Almuñécar Beach. After my host mom told me that this is a huge celebration for the young people of Granada, I knew it was something I did not want to miss. I can honestly say that I loved the atmosphere and the people so much that instead of staying one night in Almuñécar, I stayed two. I never wanted to leave. The atmosphere was contagious and I was excited to experience it all. I found myself jumping over bonfires at least three times each with locals for good luck and writing my hopes and dreams on a piece of paper to throw into the fire.

I was even more excited to plunge into the ocean with the whole beach at exactly midnight to have beauty for a year. Simple and maybe even silly traditions like these make a culture. I am so happy that I had the opportunity to experience something that people all over Spain celebrate. When I got to the bus station for my bus, there were at least six buses all going to Almuñécar. When I got there, I quickly realized what I was getting myself into. I was blown away by the amount of grandparents, moms, dads and little kids gathered to celebrate as well. It was truly a family “holiday.” There were kids and families everywhere cooking and everyone slept on the beach. I love that this celebration is one for all ages and that everyone is so kind and welcoming that it is perfectly safe to sleep on the beach. Yet again, I wish we had something like this at home in the United States. We don’t have many holidays that make us truly unique while Spain has a holiday like this. At the end of the day, I am really glad I cancelled my Valencia trip. I would rather explore the place that I am living in  than trying to rush around to other cities or even other countries. I am falling more in love with Granada every day.