UDAbroad Blog

Dare to Explore!

UD Abroad Blog

Dare to Explore!

UD Abroad Blog

Dare to Explore!

UD Abroad Blog

Dare to Explore!

Internship in Washington, D.C.

Submitted by Rony Baltazar-Lopez on the 2017 spring semester program in Washington, D.C. …

My journey in Washington, D.C. ended yesterday, but I remain optimistic that one day I will return. For the past three months, I did a full-time policy practicum with U.S. Senator Tom Carper while taking two college courses and it has been the best decision of my life, yet. Everyday, I woke up determined to make a difference and every night I went to bed thankful for the opportunities that I have been given. Although my work did not determine legislation, I whole-heartedly believe that I helped, in some way, counteract the current Administration. I cannot express my gratitude towards the Carper office as they received me with welcoming faces—especially the Senator. Senator Carper is genuinely the most caring, humble, friendly and passionate congressman I have met. Although he would sometimes call me “Rory,” he always said “hello, and thank you for being here.” Maybe that doesn’t mean a lot, but I was always assured that he noticed who I was and what I did. These past three months have been the journey of a lifetime.