New Zealand: Maori Culture

Submitted by Nicole Coffey on the 2017 winter session study abroad program in New Zealand sponsored by the School of Marine Science and Policy and the Department of Geological Sciences….

One of the most unique things about New Zealand that I’ve noticed is the strength of the indigenous culture. To this day, Maori culture remains an important part of New Zealand. Many places have Maori names, and signs are often posted in both English and the Maori language. I’ve also heard New Zealand itself being referred to as its Maori name: Aotearoa. The Maori were not conquered by the British; they signed a treaty with them (which stands in stark contrast to the experiences of the indigenous populations of my own country).

I had the opportunity to explore the history of European settlement and interactions between the Maori and the British at the Waitangi Treaty grounds, which is home to a wonderful museum alongside stunning tributes to Maori culture, which remains proud and strong. I was shown a beautiful waka, or war canoe, traditionally used only for the transport of men to a battlefield. It was made even more impressive by the fact that it took 3 Kauri trees to build, and when in the water fully loaded weighed over 12 tons! I also attended a cultural performance at a traditional Maori carved meeting house on the treaty grounds (the top of which is shown in the photo).

The entire meeting house was designed in red, black, and white – traditional Maori colors, and the most traditionally available dyes before the Europeans arrived here. The eyes of the carved figures are made of paua (abalone) shell, and are absolutely striking to see. The cultural performance itself was interesting and enjoyable – The welcome ceremony performed was riveting, and I loved hearing traditional Maori songs. I know that, as part of my program here in New Zealand, I am supposed to spend the night in a marae (Maori village) soon; after my experiences at Waitangi, I am even more excited for that experience!