The Art of Getting Lost in Prague

Submitted by Margaret McNamara on the 2016 fall semester study abroad program in Prague, Czech Republic…

Prague is home to some of the most beautiful bakeries and charming cafes. There are so many of them that even if I tried a new place every day, I still wouldn’t be able to hit them all and it almost makes me feel guilty for eating somewhere twice. This weekend, my roommate and I had a free afternoon so we wanted to try a new place that locals recommended. We looked up the directions and hopped on a tram, but after a little while we figured out that we were headed the wrong way. We decided to just go with it and see where we ended up. We knew which tram we needed to be on to get home and that was good enough for us, so we let ourselves get a little lost.

View from Prague Castle
View from Prague Castle

We ended up on the outskirts of the city and stopped into a little shop with friendly store owners that sold cakes and coffee. It was a quieter part of town than our neighborhood, which is close to the center of town, and it felt like a new perspective.

Cinnamon Trdlnik
Cinnamon Trdlnik

Getting lost in a foreign country can be scary, but there’s an art to it. As long as you can figure out how to get home, you’re not lost, you’re exploring—and that’s when the world feels like it opens up a little more.Old town Margaret McNamara 16F Prague sm