Independence in Italy

Submitted by Danielle Karacsony on the 2016 winter session program in Italy sponsored by the Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science…

I partly chose my study abroad program because I knew that I would have the opportunity to see many of the artworks and architectural feats that I have studied in my art history classes over the past few years. As an art history minor, seeing these masterpieces has been my top priority when sightseeing. However, while the other members of my study abroad program are interested in seeing the major architectural feats of each Italian city, particularly the ones on planned tours, they are not as interested in visiting the multiple museums and churches on their own that I have been dreaming about for months. At first, I was worried that I would not get to see everything I had on my list because no one would want to go with me. But last week, I talked to my professor’s wife, the grandmother of our trip, about my disappointment, and she encouraged me to venture on my own! I hadn’t ever thought about doing things by myself. I was in a foreign country, where I don’t speak the language and where I don’t know my way around! But that’s not exactly true. I have a good sense of direction, I can read a map and most of the people working at the tourist attractions in Italy can speak English.

Emboldened by my surrogate grandmother’s words, I proceeded out on my own. My first solo adventure was to the Siena Cathedral. I walked with part of my group through Siena to the cathedral. Once we reached my destination, they left to go shopping, while I went in to buy my ticket. I was nervous, but once the woman spoke English to me, I felt more comfortable. After our discussion, I wasn’t nervous to ask anyone else a question if I was unsure of something. The complex, which includes the cathedral, baptistery, crypt and a museum, is incredible. I got to watch the sun set from the overlook on top of the museum, which was a gorgeous sight.

Since arriving in Florence, I have also made solo visits to the Florence Cathedral complex and the Palazzo Vecchio, the former palace of the Medici family during their rule of Florence. One of my professors, who has never been to northern Italy before, shares my interests and has joined me on my excursions to the Uffizi Gallery, the Church of San Lorenzo, and the Medici Chapel. Don’t worry though, I’ve had a lot of time to get to know the other students on my program. Although they are not as interested as I am in the history and the art of the cities we have visited, they are still fun to spend time with.

dansmdoorsm