Travel Reimbursement Policy for Students Representing Recognized Student Organizations
|Section:||Financial & Business Policies|
|Policy Name:||Travel Reimbursement Policy for Students Representing Recognized Student Organizations|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of the Vice President For Finance and Deputy Treasurer|
|Origination Date:||October 1, 1981|
|Revisions:||June 5, 1989; July 1994; March 16, 2001; July 1, 2005|
|Legacy Policy Number:||3-14|
- PURPOSETo outline the University policy on reimbursement of student expenditures.
- POLICYAlthough it is normally the policy of the University not to utilize University funds to cover the cost of student travel, there may be occasions that might warrant an exception to this policy. If a recognized student organization believes an exception should be made, the following policies and procedures must be adhered to:
- Money to reimburse student travel must have been budgeted by the organization and approved by the Student Center Allocation Board.
- The following travel limitations are the maximum amounts that may be reimbursed according to University policy. Each request, however, will be considered on its own individual merits within the funds available.
- Before taking a trip by automobile, availability of University vehicles should be determined. (See Policy and Procedures for Student Organizations’ Use of University Vehicles.) If a University vehicle is used, mileage will be charged to the student organization; tolls and parking may be reimbursed to the driver. (Receipts must be obtained.) Credit cards for gasoline may be obtained at Motor Pool and must be used if gasoline is needed. When signing the receipt for gasoline, the individual should sign his or her own name and indicate the name of the organization he or she is representing;
- Hotel Accommodations – It is expected that minimum hotel rate accommodations will be requested, taking advantage of any convention or educational discounts;
- Meals – Meal costs must be itemized on the request for reimbursement and original receipts must be attached. There will be no reimbursement for alcoholic beverages;
- Miscellaneous – Luggage, telephone, and service charges should be itemized on the request for reimbursement, not included as part of the hotel bill. Taxi, bus, and subway charges should be itemized. Registration fees should be substantiated by a receipt;
- Arrangements for meals for candidates or official guests visiting the University should be made utilizing University facilities.
- Request for Reimbursement – The request for reimbursement should be submitted promptly after return to the campus on a University of Delaware Business Expense Request-Reimbursement. All original receipts and tickets must be attached to this form.