Possession and Use of Firearms on University Property
|Section:||Campus Safety and Security Policies|
|Policy Name:||Possession and Use of Firearms on University Property|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Campus and Public Safety|
|Origination Date:||June 5, 1989|
|Revisions:||March 1, 1996; December 2013; December 2014|
|Legacy Policy Number:||7-26|
- PURPOSEThe University of Delaware (“University”) is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all members of the campus community, and for its visitors, through the reasonable regulation of weapons, ammunition, explosives, and other dangerous instruments.
- POLICYThe University prohibits the possession, storage, or use of any guns, firearms, explosives, ammunition, and other weapons and dangerous instruments (herein collectively “Weapons”) on University property, including any land, building, or vehicle that the University owns, leases, rents, occupies, operates or controls, unless expressly authorized by the University of Delaware Police Department.
- POLICY APPLICABILITYThis policy applies to University students, faculty, employees, tenants, invitees, visitors, contractors, and members of the general public and applies irrespective of any license, authority, or concealed weapon or other permit.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
- Law-Enforcement Officers: Sworn law-enforcement officers, including University of Delaware Police Officers, whose official duties require them to be on University property, may carry guns, firearms, ammunition, and other weapons consistent with their law enforcement responsibilities and in compliance with state and federal law and the rules and regulations of their employing agencies.
- Authorized by the Chief of Police: The Chief of the University of Delaware Police (“Chief of Police”) may, in his/her sole discretion, authorize a person to possess, store, or use a weapon on University property, such as the following examples:
- Educational or artistic display, parade, or ceremony in connection with a University-sponsored activity;
- Official military or Reserve Officer Training Corps (“ROTC”) activities;
- University-contracted protection or security details;
- Any University-approved training, course, or class; or
- University personnel, other than law-enforcement officers, required to possess a weapon as part of their official duties.
A request for permission pursuant to one of these exceptions must be submitted in writing to the Chief of Police at least five (5) business days in advance of the date for which permission is requested. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis in accordance with state and federal law and University policies and procedures. The decision of the Chief of Police shall be final.
- For Research Purposes, but only when jointly authorized by the Office of Research and the Office of Environmental Health & Safety.
- Reporting: Any violation of this policy must be reported immediately to the University of Delaware Police Department.
- Violations: A violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action, including expulsion or termination of employment, under applicable University policy and may also result in civil or criminal proceedings, including removal from, or restricted access to, University property. Any questions about this policy should be directed to the University of Delaware Police Department at 302-831-2222.