Non-Exempt Staff Reduction in Work Force
|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Non-Exempt Staff Reduction in Work Force|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Revisions:||July 28, 2010; November 18, 2016; August 2017|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-99|
- SCOPE OF POLICYThis policy addresses reductions in workforce and applies to all non-exempt employees.
- DEFINITIONSReduction in workforce: a reduction in any number of non-exempt employees lasting longer than 30 days.
- POLICY STATEMENTWhenever a reduction in workforce of more than 30 days becomes necessary, the University will make every reasonable effort to minimize the effects of a reduction in workforce on departments and employees. In the event a reduction in workforce is necessary, the department or budget unit head is responsible for deciding which functions are to be reduced or discontinued. The determination of those employees to be affected shall be made in accordance with organizational requirements, skills, and experience of incumbents and length of continuous University service.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
- In departments or budget units with non-exempt employees in the initial 180-day evaluation period, reductions in workforce should be made from those employees before reductions are considered of employees who have completed their evaluation period.
- Before reductions of full-time employees are considered, departments or budget unit heads will first consider the discontinuation of or reduction of hours for variable-time staff.
- Non-exempt employees laid off under a reduction in workforce shall be notified by their department at least 30 calendar days prior to the effective date of the layoff.
- Non-exempt employees laid off under this procedure shall be considered internal applicants for purposes of posting on open positions for 12 months from the effective date of the layoff, including those non-exempt employees who were still in their evaluation period. Individuals who meet the minimum requirements of the open position shall be given consideration for positions that match their knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- For non-exempt employees laid off under a reduction in workforce, the Office of Human Resources shall coordinate job placement counseling, employee benefits counseling, and other forms of assistance as may be available to develop employment opportunities outside of the University.
- Non-exempt employees laid off due to a reduction in workforce and who otherwise qualify for University payment of their employee benefits shall continue to receive the University payment in support of those benefits for a period of three months following the date of layoff.