|Facilities, Real Estate and Auxiliary Services Policies
|Executive Vice President
|Responsible University Office:
|Facilities, Real Estate and Auxiliary Services
|September 15, 1975
|October 1, 1981; June 5, 1989; July 31, 1990; March 1998; January 26, 2001; July 1, 2005
|Legacy Policy Number:
- PURPOSETo describe the regulations applicable to the use of Motor Pool vehicles, and procedures to be used in obtaining them.
- Motor Pool vehicles may be used for University business on a first come first served basis by any member of the University faculty, staff or recognized student organization that has been approved by the appropriate Dean or Department Head. Use of University vehicles for personal use is strictly prohibited.
- Insurance regulations require all drivers of University vehicles to be an employee of or affiliated with the University of Delaware. All drivers must possess a valid driver’s license. (A driver must be 18 years of age to drive a University vehicle.) University vehicles may not be driven and are not insured for use in Canada or Mexico unless prior permission has been granted. If it is necessary to operate a University vehicle in either Canada or Mexico insurance coverage must be arranged and an insurance card issued through the Office of Risk Management prior to departure.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or drugs in vehicles is prohibited. Evidence of such may result in the forfeiture of future Motor Pool privileges for the user department or recognized student organization.
- Mechanical failure or damage due to the negligence of the driver will be the responsibility of the user department or recognized student organization.
- The designated driver is responsible for operating the vehicle in accordance with all vehicle, parking, and traffic regulations.
- Insurance and registration cards are located in the glove compartment of all vehicles. All accidents are to be reported within 24 hours of occurrence and immediately, if personal injury is involved.
- The designated driver must have read and understood all regulations and operating procedures for motor pool vehicle use. These are provided at the following link: http://www.udel.edu/SuppSrvc/mtrpool/motrpool.html.
- The WEB Request for Services Motor Pool form must be supplied by the user department or recognized student organization to rent a motor pool vehicle. Keys will not be released unless the Request for Services Motor Pool form is in the possession of Motor Pool personnel.
- The designated driver must record both the beginning and ending mileage on the envelope provided.
- Vehicles may only be taken or returned at scheduled times. Unscheduled early departures will result in an additional charge.
- It is the responsibility of the user department or recognized student organization to pay all traffic violations, fines, parking fees, and tolls. The Motor Pool does not reimburse for parking fees and tolls.
- In case of accident:
- The police must be contacted for all accidents. If police are not notified, the user department or recognized student organization will be held responsible for any damages or liabilities. Final responsibility for a reported accident will be determined by the Police Report. If an accident occurs on Campus, notify Public Safety at once.
- A full report of all accidents must be submitted to the Motor Pool Office at Transportation Services within 24 hours of the occurrence. If personal injury is involved or the Motor Pool vehicle can not be driven away from the accident, notify the Motor Pool Office immediately. If it is after office hours, notify Public Safety and provide your location and a telephone number where you can be reached.
- Do not discuss the accident or sign any reports or statements without first consulting official University personnel.
- Never admit responsibility to the other party.