Jury Duty/Court Appearance
|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Jury Duty/Court Appearance|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Revisions:||June 2016; July 2017|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-49|
- SCOPE OF POLICYThis policy applies to benefits-eligible employees and addresses leave for jury duty and other court-related activities.
- POLICY STATEMENTEmployees are encouraged to serve on jury duty and fulfill their court-related, civic obligations. The University provides benefits-eligible employees paid time off to do so without change in status or loss of pay. The employee will keep his or her supervisor informed of probable periods of absence. Employees appearing in court on their own behalf are required to use vacation days for those absences.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
- Employees summoned for jury duty should provide the notification from the court to the employee’s supervisor.
- Employees who serve as a juror or are legally subpoenaed as a witness shall obtain court issued documentation validating attendance and provide that documentation to their supervisor.
- Employees summoned for jury duty or appearing as subpoenaed witnesses are expected to work during normal working hours whenever court is not in session or when their presence in court is not required.
- The employee may keep any expense monies or statutory witness fee allotted to him or her for such court service.