Evaluation Period: Exempt and Non-Exempt Staff
|Section:||Human Resources Policies|
|Policy Name:||Evaluation Period: Exempt and Non-Exempt Staff|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of Human Resources|
|Revisions:||November 2016; May 2017|
|Legacy Policy Number:||4-96 and 4-97|
- SCOPE OF POLICYThis policy addresses the evaluation period for all newly hired benefited exempt and non-exempt employees during their first 180 calendar days of employment.
- Evaluation period: Exempt and non-exempt employees newly hired to the University of Delaware shall be evaluated upon completion of 180 calendar days of employment. During the initial 180 calendar days of employment, both the employee and the supervisor are expected to have regular interactive conversations regarding duties and responsibilities of the position including the employee’s performance/adaptability and conduct.
- Promotion: a movement of an employee from one position to another position in a higher pay grade.
- Transfer: a movement of an employee from one position to another position within the same pay grade.
- POLICY STATEMENTNewly hired exempt and non-exempt benefited employees are subject to a 180 calendar day evaluation period in order for management to provide guidance and evaluate the employee. During the evaluation period, employees are not eligible for promotions or transfers and cannot participate in the grievance procedures outlined in the Exempt and Non-Exempt Staff Grievance Policies.
The University supports the professional advancement of its employees and encourages eligible employees to seek promotions and transfers within the institution. Candidates for vacancies will be evaluated on the basis of qualifications, experience, and ability. Other factors being relatively equal, preference will be given to the promotion/transfer of current University employees.
- POLICY STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
- Prior to the end of the evaluation period, the employee’s supervisor will provide a written review to the employee using the 180-day evaluation form. At no time, either during the evaluation period or after, is the employment-at-will relationship between the University and the employee altered in any way.
- Employees are eligible for promotion/transfer upon successful completion of their evaluation period or after having been in their current position for 180 calendar days. Request for exceptions to this requirement is subject to the approval by the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Employees may visit the UD jobs website to learn about and apply for current job opportunities within the University.
- Compensation for employees who are promoted or transferred will be reviewed by the Office of Compensation and Classification.