Multiscale Assessments Research Core
Charles Riley, AS, BS, HTL (ASCP)
Charles graduated from Delaware Technical Community College in May 2014 with his associates degree in Histotechnology. Obtained ASCP HT board certification two weeks after graduating. Charles worked at Doctors Pathology services from July 2014 until April of 2021. During his tenure there, Charles became a certified trained MOHS technician, managed the Anatomic pathology division (histology and grossing departments), and obtained his Bachelor’s degree from Wilmington University in Allied Health Management. Charles became ASCP HTL certified in 2017. Charles has advanced experience with training new users, tissue processing techniques, microtomy, cryotomy, and H&E and immunohistochemistry (IHC) staining and troubleshooting.
- Analysis assistance
- Assay/Protocol Development
- Equipment education
- Histology techniques education
- Project development
- Frozen section microtomy
- H&E staining
- IHC testing (manual)
- Sample processing
- Slide coverslipping
- Special stain studies (manual)
- Tissue embedding (paraffin)
- Tissue Microtomy (paraffin)
- Tissue processing
- IHC testing (automatic)
- Special stain studies (automatic)
- Tissue embedding (resin)
- Tissue Microtomy (resin)
Avantik QS12 Cryostat
The Avantik QS12 Cryostat provides the following features:
- Touch interface for control of all cryostat functions
- Unique “dovetail” bladeholder base design to provide enhanced stability and prevent lateral movement or vibration
- Fully adjustable, extra-wide anti-roll glass
- Automatic specimen retraction
- Precise trim thickness, section thickness and sectioning depth measurements
- Memory function allowing the operator to record the last position of the specimen relative to the blade before removing it. The specimen can be automatically returned to the same position if additional sectioning is required.
ESPO Thermal Transfer Slide Printer
The ESPO Thermal Transfer Slide Printer provides direct labeling to slide, creating a more efficient work flow and minimizing errors.
The system features include:
- Fully integrated color touch-screen display
- Two 100 slide cartridges
- Single-slide front loading
- Barcode capabilities
- Solvent resistant: water, alcohol, xylene
- Print speed: 3 seconds per slide, 18 slides per minute
- Print direction (in degrees): 0, 90, 180, 270
- Slide size: 25mmx75mmx1mm; 26mmx76mmx1mm
- Frost size: 15mm, 20mm, 25mm
HistoDream Embedding Workstation
The Milestone HistoDream Embedding Workstation is composed of 3 separate units – the dispensing module, thermal module and cold embedding module. The Dispensing module is compatible with all cassette types and has 2 built-in paraffin trimmers, heated forcep wells and programmable heating. The Thermal module can store up to 400 molds and provides programmable heating. The Cold Embedding module provides even temperature distribution over the entire cooling surface, an can operate in the temperature range of 0 to -12°C.
The HistoDream Embedding Workstation is used for the following operations:
- Dissolve solid wax for specimen embedding and to keep it melted at the required temperature
- Fill the molds where the tissue specimens have been placed with wax
- Heat and keep the temperatures of the moldes and tweezers
IsoMet Low Speed Saw
The IsoMet Low Speed Saw is designed for cutting of various types of materials with minimal deformation. The low speed cutter is targeted for delicates parts by only using gravity fed force.
- Gravity fed cutting force to reduce deformation of delicate samples
- Cut speeds of 0-300 RPM
- Capable of cutting a variety of materials including biomaterials.
- Capable of cutting ±5μm precision via a manual micrometer
Leica CM 1100 Tabletop Cryostat
The Leica CM1100 is a portable compact cryostat for rapid freezing and manual sectioning of tissue specimens.
- Portable bench-top cryostat
- Compact unit, providing maximum ease of use at a total weight of 50 kg
- Spacious, easy-to-clean cryochamber made out of stainless steel
- CE disposable blade holder with lateral adjustment and glass anti-roll plate
- Quick-freeze shelf
- Two section waste trays
- Microtome with specimen cylinder slot cover – ideal for spray disinfection
- Automatic and manual hot gas defrosting
- CFC-free refrigerants and insulating foams.
- Connection for 12-volt car battery
- Section thickness adjustment: 0 to 20 μm
- Maximum specimen size: 25 mm ø
- Total horizontal specimen advance: 10 mm
- Vertical specimen stroke: 46 mm
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 570 x 380 x 777 mm
- Dimensions cryocabinet (W x H x D): 265 x 220 x 400 mm
- Weight (including microtome): 110 lbs.
Leica RM2125 Microtome
The Leica RM2125 Microtome is a manual microtome that can provide sectioning thickness of 0.5-60μm and trimming thickness of 10 or 50μm
Leica RM2155 Microtome
The Leica RM2155 is a reliable rotary microtome designed for fully motorized sectioning of both paraffin and resin-embedded specimens. Offering a broad application spectrum in histology laboratories, the RM2155 also has applications in industrial materials and quality control. The Leica microtome’s two-in-one design concept allows motorized as well as manual sectioning, and provides reproducible quality sections.
The RM2155 sectioning speed can be adjusted to cut hard materials as well as paraffin-embedded specimens at high throughput without affecting sectioning quality. This microtome is designed for users who require a fully motorized/electronic microtome for their laboratory needs, making it an ideal instrument for fundamental sectioning of standard and non-standard materials.
The fully motorized Leica RM2155 microtome can cut sections from 0.5 to 60 microns with an automatic motorized coarse feed as well as an adjustable hand wheel for speed control and selectable cutting modes. The knife holder comes with new clamping plates, ensuring the user accurate, non-erratic sectioning.
PiSmart Single Hopper Plus Cassette Printer
Designed for on-demand printing, the PiSmart Single Plus can deliver the first printed cassette in as little as 3 seconds. Users have the ability to bypass the hopper and manually drop in a different type of cassette.
- Delivers printed cassettes in 3-5 seconds
- High-quality print finish
- Full-color touch screen
- Low printing error rate
Tissue-Tek Film 4740 Coverslipper
The Tissue-tek Film Automated Coverslipper utilizes a xylene-activated film to apply proper coverage to samples. Film coverslipped slides have fewer artifacts compared to glass coverslipped slides. The system features include:
- Quick drying
- Barcode scanning
- Holding capacity of 240 slides
- Can accommodate coverslip lengths of 45, 50, 55 or 60mm
Tissue-Tek Genie Advanced Staining System
The Tissue-Tek Genie Advanced Staining System is a fully automated stainer for application in immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization.
- Turnaround time of 2-3hr for IHC including dewaxing, antigen retrieval and counterstaining
- Throughput of up to 90 IHC slides in 8 hours
- Temperature range of 10-98°C
- Slides requirements: 25x75mm or 26x76mm positively charged slides
Invitrogen EVOS M7000
The Invitrogen EVOS M7000 is a high-performance, fully automated, inverted, multi-channel fluorescence and transmitted light imaging system. The system is designed for basic image acquisition or automated routines for time-lapse live cell imaging, area scanning in time lapse, Z-stack, tiling and stitching.
4, 10 and 20X objectives
LED cubes for DAPI, GFP, RFP and Cy5
Image analysis capabilities for cell segmentation and quantification
Leica ST5010 Autostainer XL
The Leica ST5010 Autostainer XL provides reproducible, consistent high-quality staining and increased workload throughput in comparison to manual staining.
Ability to store and run up to 15 user-defined staining protocols
High specimen throughput with up to 11 racks and 30 slides at a time
Leica ASP6025 S Tissue Processor
The Leica ASP6025 S Tissue Processor provides end-users with optimal tissue processing speed and quality.
Advanced magnetic stirrer technology to optimize paraffin infiltration performance
Pre-installed validated protocols
Auto-rotation for reagent bottle exchange