The latest in training and pedagogical techniques for English teachers from around the world!
Since 1985, the ELI has been a leader in short-term English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teacher training. The Delaware EFL Teacher Training Institute (DEFT) is an intensive certificate program designed to meet the specific needs of EFL teachers, supervisors, or teacher trainers by providing:
- Class observations
- Training in current methods, approaches, and techniques.
DEFT also includes developmental coursework in written and spoken English, as needed.
Read our Teacher Training Mission
Through an unwavering commitment to excellence and renewal, the ELI faculty and staff endeavor each day to enhance our reputation as a leader among TEFL training programs. Our leadership is based on a clear understanding of our goals and the means to achieve them.
As teachers, tutors, administrators and staff, we strive to:
- Meet or exceed our teaching professionals’ expectations for developing their linguistic, pedagogical, and professional skills.
- Contribute to international understanding by engaging teaching professionals in meaningful intercultural exploration.
- Provide our teaching professionals with the support and services they require to live and study successfully in the United States.
- Meet the ordinary and extraordinary needs of our teaching professionals, ensuring that their experience at ELI is productive and fulfilling.
- Provide only the most talented and experienced teacher training specialists and staff and promote their continued professional growth.
- Assume personal responsibility for solving problems, value each other as highly as we do our clients, and support each other in our work.
- Manage our resources, attaining financial viability without compromising the outstanding value of an ELI education.
- Enrich the University of Delaware and the local community, fostering cross-cultural communication and interaction.
Adopted July 30, 2014
Program instructors are members of ELI faculty who have developed their expertise training English teachers in the U.S. and abroad.
All faculty members have either a Master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (MA-TESL) or in Applied Linguistics; several faculty members also have obtained their doctoral degrees.
Typically, the DEFT program is offered for four weeks; however, for special groups, the ELI is able to customize the program length in order to meet the needs of the participants.
For more information, contact Baerbel Schumacher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know?
The United States Department of State and several foreign ministries of education have awarded the ELI grants for teacher training.
EFL pedagogical courses
- Communicative Grammar Instruction
- Writing Instruction
- Reading Instruction
- Strategic Interaction
- Content Based/Integrated Skills Instruction
- Oral Intelligibility Instruction
- Drama Based Instruction
- Use of Music/Films/Video
- Business English Instruction
- Teaching Culture
- Techniques for Teaching Large Classes
- Testing/Portfolio Assessment
Supervisory/teacher training courses
- EFL Curriculum Design
- Considerations Systematic
- Classroom Observation
- Program/Teacher Evaluation
- Designing and Conducting Teacher Training Workshops
- Conference Planning
- Learning and Teaching Styles
- Needs Assessment Methods
Supplementary courses and activities
- Materials development/desktop publishing
- ESL class observations
- Computer training
English communication skills courses/activities
- Oral English proficiency
- Written English proficiency
- Cultural program and activities
DEFT also includes an option of cultural and recreational trips, such as:
- Day trips to historic Philadelphia, Baltimore, and the Amish country of Lancaster, Pennsylvania;
- Weekend excursions to the Delaware beaches or Pennsylvania ski resorts, depending on the season; and
- Visits to New York City and Washington, D.C.
Program participants are housed on or near campus in residence halls, homestay families, or nearby hotels.
This program may be scheduled at most times throughout the year for a minimum of 12 participants in a group. We will be happy to design a program tailored to meet the needs of your EFL teachers.
Individuals: DEFT for individuals is a four-week program. The next session of DEFT for individual teachers will take place in January-February 2021.
For more information, please contact ELI Admissions at email@example.com.
Academic Year 2020-2021
|Room and food (estimate)||1,200|
|Health insurance and Student Wellness fee||219|
|Total estimated fees||US$ 5,720|
- Prices are in US dollars.
- Academic Year 2020-2021 prices are valid until August 20, 2021.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Students will be charged an express mail fee of US $35 if any documents need to be shipped to them.