For AT Track students only (includes Pre-AT and AT)
Live in an apartment with an American student!
Learn about American culture, live with an American friend, practice your English, and live in luxury accommodations at The Retreat at Newark apartments.
Please note: this option is only for AT track students. AT students who are coming to study with their family members are not eligible to live in this housing option. Contact email@example.com for more information.
What is the Global Community?
At the Global Community, we have created an “International Living and Learning Community” allowing ELI students to live with an American University of Delaware student. The purpose of the Global Community is to create a space for ELI students to make American friends and to learn about American college culture outside of the classroom.
Each 4-bedroom apartment will contain 3 ELI students and 1 American student (called the “American Global Fellow,” or AGF). The role of the AGF will be to help his/her ELI roommates in the following ways:
- Helping them to practice their English and develop their intercultural communication skills
- Building relationships with all roommates
- Having dinner with ELI students once every two weeks, sharing each other’s food and culture, and leading discussions at the dinner table
Special note for AT/Pre-AT students:
Living in the Global Community meets the housing requirements for AT/Pre-AT students. Limited spaces are available in Global Community, so please apply as soon as possible by sending us your Housing Reservation Form.
Global Community Housing
- The Retreat at Newark – 501 Hamlet Way, Newark, DE 19711
These apartments are within biking distance of campus and ELI buildings, as well as within walking distance of restaurants, a pharmacy, a grocery store, and a bank. The Retreat has a private shuttle/bus service and the free UD shuttle bus stops at The Retreat to take students to campus and to the English Language Institute.
Global Community Format and Amenities
- Four bedrooms (with 1 student in each bedroom) including a bed, night stand, dresser, desk and desk chair, and large closet.
- Full kitchen with granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances
- Furniture in living/dining room: sofa, coffee table, end table, dining room table/chairs
- Washing machine and dryer in the apartment
- 42″ flat screen TV
- Sports areas (cardio center, volleyball court, basketball court)
- Study area and free printing (please bring your own paper)
- Free parking for students who meet parking permit requirements
- Access to game room and lounge
- Off-campus location that is close to University of Delaware campus and other ELI apartments
- Close access to the UD bus system and public bus system (which transports to the Christiana Mall)
- Close to pharmacy, grocery store, restaurants, and more
Each ELI student must pay a rent of US $2,050 for each session (7-8 weeks) for The Retreat at Newark apartments.
New residents must also pay a one-time deposit of $250 when they move in.
- A deposit of $250 must also be paid; however, it will be returned to the student after he/she moves out if the apartment is left in good condition and is clean.
- Prices subject to change without notice.
Payment and Contract Information
Students will be charged for their accommodations through an ELI bill sent to the student several days before the session begins. Rent must be paid before each session begins in order to avoid a late fee of $50. Payment can be made with credit card, money order (made out to the University of Delaware), or cash.
Students are required to sign a Resident Agreement which states the conditions and rules to live in the Global Community. Students are expected to comply with the statements on the contract and will be held accountable for Global Community policies.
All reservations must be made through the ELI Housing Coordinator. Leasing directly with the leasing office may result in financial and academic consequences for AT students. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
How to apply for the Global Community
- New Students—Send us your Housing Reservation Form
- Current Students—Email email@example.com to sign up to transfer to the Global Community.