TRANSLATE THIS PAGE
The University of Delaware’s American Law and Legal English Institute (ALLEI) was established in 1994 to offer international legal professionals training in the American legal system and legal English communication.
This program benefits uniquely from the experience of the legal community of the State of Delaware, particularly from the legal activity of the state’s Court of Chancery, an international center for corporate and commercial legal processes.
Much of U.S. corporate litigation takes place in Delaware, and the Delaware Bar Association includes some of the most highly regarded attorneys and judges in the United States, many of whom have served as ALLEI faculty over the years.
The four week ALLEI program includes 120 hours of instructional and professional activities, including courses, seminars, legal visitations and cultural activities.
If you have a group of at least 12 people who are interested in participating in ALLEI, then the ELI can arrange for a special session of ALLEI for your group.
We will be happy to design a program tailored to meet the needs of your participants.
For groups who are interested in ALLEI, please contact Baerbel Schumacher at email@example.com.
Ask a question about ALLEI
Sample ALLEI Courses
Courses are taught by experienced lawyers and center on topics in legal theory and practice.
- American Law Courses
- Legal English and Communication Courses
- Legal Seminars and Workshops
- Judicial and Legal Visitations
American Law Courses
- American Legal English
- The American Judicial System
- American Constitutional Law
- American Corporations and Business Ethics
- Contracts and Commercial Law
- Torts and Personal Injury Law
- International Transactions
- Tax and Investment Law
Legal English and Communication Courses
- Computerized legal research
- Contract and case analysis
- Legal vocabulary and writing
- Oral Advocacy
Legal Seminars and Workshops
Legal and judicial seminars and workshops are offered on campus and at various law firms and courts in Delaware and led by lawyers and judges from Delaware’s legal community who are experts in their respective fields. Topics may include:
- International Trade and Business
- American & Multinational Corporations
- American Criminal Justice
- Banking and Insurance
- Product Liability and Personal Injury
- Alternate Dispute Resolution
- Securities Regulation
Judicial and Legal Visitations
ALLEI participants visit state and federal courts and major American law firms in Delaware, New York and Washington, D.C., where they have the opportunities to meet American colleagues and make professional contacts.
Cultural Programs and Activities
In addition to your studies, the ELI organizes cultural events, trips, and activities so that you can make the most of your experience at the University of Delaware.
ALLEI offers a full calendar of cultural and recreational trips, such as:
- day trips to historic Philadelphia, New York City, Baltimore, and the Amish country of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and
- weekend excursions to Atlantic City’s casinos, the Delaware beaches or Pennsylvania ski resorts, depending on the season.
Professional visits may include an overnight trip to Washington, D.C.
Housing and Dining
Program participants are housed on or near campus in residence halls, with homestay hosts, or in nearby hotels. Each housing type contains access to a kitchen and/or is conveniently located near restaurants and cafes off and on campus.
There are several dining options for ELI students. Some students buy a university meal plan, while others will eat with their homestay families. Some students choose not to buy a meal plan and will instead cook their meals or purchase them in many cafes in the Newark area.