Some of the highlights of the night included:
- Dean Watson and Dr. Stevens recorded videos, wishing students “Happy Spring Festival” in both Chinese and English!
- Lanzhu Liu, mother of our very own Emily Liu (former student and one of ELI’s international student recruiters), taught three classes: two brush painting classes, and one calligraphy class. People from many countries, including Japan, China, Saudi Arabia and America had a great time learning these traditional Chinese arts.
- Leah Davidson, one of ELI’s international student recruiters, and Kong Kai, an ELI student, hosted a fun, international version of the game of “Whisper Down the Line” in Arabic, Chinese and Portuguese.
- At the end of the celebration, everyone was treated to a beautiful song by student Ruisen Yang, who accompanied himself on the guitar.
- Students wrote down a wish sentence to their family, friends or anybody else they chose and put the wish into a wish box.
- Ken Hyde, Tutoring Center Manager, provided chef services, turning out delicious chicken dumplings for all to enjoy!
A few wish box wishes from students included:
- “Wish my family a best year”
- “Happy New Year”
The students attending the celebration weren’t the only ones who enjoyed the evening’s events. Students and parents of ELI students shared their appreciation of the event on WeChat, commenting:
“This is a really great, creative idea. We are eager to see the real American life” – parent of ELI student
“Thank you so much for doing the live stream so we can see my son from China” – parent of ELI student
“I met many interesting people here. They carry hope, love and future to me. It makes me feel the temperature of home during this spring festival in a foreign country” – ELI student
Check out the photo gallery below – you can see what a great time everyone had!
Photos provided courtesy of ELI students Yifan Lu and Ziheng Ma
For more great pictures of the Festival, visit our Facebook page at: http://www.udel.edu/004590