Utilizing Accommodations

Requesting Your Faculty Notification Emails

Note: After receiving the email stating that you have completed the registration process, you must wait 24-hours before attempting to request your Faculty Notification Emails.   Courses may take up to 48 hours to display in the system after you have registered for your courses.

  1. Log in to the DSS Student Accommodation Manager
  2. Sign in using your UD ID and password.
  3. Once you have logged into your profile, select “My Dashboard” from your SAM home screen, located on the left-hand-side.  Scroll down and you should see a listing of the courses for which you are registered.
  4. Select the check boxes in front of the courses for which you would like to request services (i.e. alternative testing, alternate format etc).
  5. Click “Continue to select your accommodations”
  6. Select which accommodations you would like to request for each class.  You do NOT have to select all of your accommodations.  Your Faculty Notification emails will be sent automatically when the accommodation is requested.
  7. Make sure to click Submit Your Accommodation Requests. Look for the check mark in the green circle indicating the system has successfully processed your request.
  8. A PDF version of your Faculty Notification email will be available to print after your email has been sent to your professor.  You can choose to deliver it to your faculty directly, if you prefer.  A copy of this letter can also be found in your SAM mailbox.
  9. Once you have requested your Faculty Notification email, you may need to arrange a time to meet with each professor and discuss the specific details of implementing your accommodations in each course.

Requesting Your Test Accommodations

  1. Communicate with your faculty regarding your approved accommodations.
  2. If using the TAC, at least 5 business days in advance, log in to DSS Student Accommodation Manager and click on “alternative testing” in the gray box in the furthest left column. Select which course you have the exam in from the drop down menu, and complete the rest of the information about the time/date/accommodations needed for the exam.
  3. Arrive at the TAC at the scheduled date and time. Late arrivals are not guaranteed that the test will be administered unless approved by faculty.
  4. You must obtain and provide permission from your faculty/course instructor to take a test at an alternate date/time (that differs from the scheduled test time).
  5. Stow all personal belongings in a locker. Sign in to begin your exam and sign out when finished.
  6. Students must agree to adhere to The University’s Honesty Policies and sign the Test Cover Sheet prior to taking a test in the TAC. All cases of academic dishonesty will be reported to faculty and The Office of Student Conduct.  The TAC is monitored by Proctors and surveillance cameras.
  7. Please bring any approved and required items to the TAC, such as blue books, pencils, calculators, etc.
  8. Please notify the Proctor immediately with questions, legibility or incomplete test concerns.
  9. During a test, please use only the restrooms within the DSS Office Suite and please sign-in/sign-out for each break.
  10. Students are responsible for following faculty instructions for the test, as well as returning all test items (including scrap paper) to the Proctor.
  11. Please indicate any special accommodations on the TAC form and again before and after completing the test (such as use of assistive technology, use of computer, no scantron sheet, need to print out responses from the computer, etc.).

TAC Hours of Operation:

Fall and Spring semesters:

The Test Accommodation Center (TAC) is open Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Winter and Summer sessions:

Hours are by appointment only; Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Requesting a Copy of a Peer’s Notes

If you are eligible for this accommodation, when you select ‘Note-Taking Services’ on your Faculty Notification Email request, your professor is notified that you MAY need a note-taker. You will then be prompted in SAM to confirm that you really need the note-taker. Please be sure that you need a note-taker in the class before confirming. Many instructors utilize technology and innovative strategies to foster learning and engagement.  Increasingly, instructors provide class notes and materials to all students, thus eliminating the need for a note-taker or individual accommodation. During the first week of classes you can determine in which classes you will require a note-taker.

If you determine that you actually do need notes, confirm in SAM, and DSS will send an email to your professor to make an announcement to recruit a note-taker for you. After a note-taker is identified, they will be instructed to upload their notes to SAM. At that point, we will put them in your profile in SAM. You will need to regularly log into SAM to check the status of your request and view available notes.

Requesting Material in An Alternative Format

  1. Follow the steps above for “Requesting Your Faculty Notification Emails” making sure that you select “Accessible Alternative Format” for each class in which alternate format is needed.
  2. Log into SAM and navigate to the left hand side under My Accommodations and click on  “Alternative Formats” link.
  3. Under “Additional Book or Reading Material” you will manually fill in your book request here.   Select the class from the drop down menu.  Please fill in the textbook information for each class in which alternate format is requested.  Textbook information can be found on the UD Bookstore website.
  4. When finished, click on “Submit Request“.  You must submit your proof of ownership to DSS (dss-altbook@udel.edu) before any alternate format material will be released.  Please provide your class syllabus with reading assignments as it will help provide your alternate format before the required reading due dates.
  5. Refer to the Alternate Format link under “My Accommodations” in SAM to view the books that are currently being processed as well as the status.
  6.  Check your UD email for messages from “dss-altbook” for instructions and updates.

If you need assistance with requesting alternate formats, please call the DSS office at 302-831-4643 or email:  dss-altbook@udel.edu.


Requesting Interpreters or CART Services

Please contact the DSS office to arrange for services.