Supporting Student Success

Leaving or Returning to UD

How do you know if taking a leave of absence is right for you? What is a tuition rebate? We can help answer any question you may have about leaving or returning to UD.

We know that sometimes a student may need to take a semester off from the University for a variety of reasons. Leaves of absence can be related to your mental health, physical health, active military status, educational opportunities, or personal reasons. Students who take a leave of absence are planning to return to the University of Delaware. Most leaves of absences can only be taken for up to two consecutive semesters and require you to meet with a specific office. Our goal is to ensure you make an informed decision and understand the implications of taking a leave. We also know that sometimes a student may need to officially withdraw from the University of Delaware. This implies that you are not planning to return to the University of Delaware. Below you will find more information about the various leave and withdrawal opportunities at the University of Delaware. Graduate students seeking information on a leave of absence, should reach out to the Office of Graduate and Professional Education.

If a student has a physical or mental health condition that is impacting their success at the University, they may seek a Medical Leave of Absence. For undergraduate students, this process is facilitated by the Office of the Dean of Students. We work with you to explain the process and discuss academic implications. We also connect you to offices to discuss financial implications of a leave. The Office of the Dean of Students is the only office on campus that can process medical leaves of absence. A student may be eligible for a partial tuition rebate in relation to a medical leave of absence. Tuition rebates are calculated by looking at the day a student last participated in academic work. If you are eligible for a partial tuition rebate, the Office of the Dean of Students will communicate directly with the Office of Student Financial Services. Final decisions in regards to rebate amount and distribution are made by the Office of Student Financial Services.

If a student receives an opportunity related to their educational development or degree program, they may apply for an educational leave of absence. Examples of educational leaves include research opportunities or taking classes at another university. Educational leaves must be taken prior to the end of free drop/add date of the requested term. Educational leaves are approved and processed by your college’s academic Assistant Dean. We encourage you to reach out to your academic Assistant Dean if you are considering an Educational Leave of Absence. A list of colleges and assistant deans can be found here.

We know that your personal circumstances may change and cause you to need a Personal Leave of Absence. Examples of personal leave reasons include taking time off for financial reasons, a change in family life at home, or an opportunity or experience not related to course work. Personal leaves must be taken prior to the end of free drop/add date of the requested term. Personal leaves are processed by your college’s academic Assistant Dean. A list of colleges and assistant deans can be found here.

If you are called to active military duty while enrolled, a Military Leave of Absence is available. The military leave process is facilitated by our Veteran Services Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Students. The coordinator is the only staff member that is able to process a military leave for students.

When a student withdraws from the university, they are officially cutting ties with the University of Delaware. If the student would want to return, they would need to apply for readmission. For undergraduate students, your academic assistant dean’s office can process a withdrawal from the university. You will be encouraged to meet with a member of the staff and go over implications of withdrawing.

Student Behavior Consultation Team (SBCT)

The Student Behavior Consultation Team (SBCT) develops support plans to promote student health, wellbeing and successful academic experiences; and promotes campus safety through an active process of threat assessment and behavioral intervention. Report a concern or learn more.

Mental Health Emergencies

Returning to the University after a mental health emergency can be challenging. A mental health emergency is when a student seeks out or is transported to a local mental health emergency unit for a mental health evaluation.

The Office of the Dean of Students supports undergraduate students who may find themselves in difficult situations including emotional and psychological distress. After a student is released, they are required to meet with our staff prior to returning to classes, and in some cases, their residence hall. We feel it is important for students to meet with us to learn about resources and discuss options to be successful at UD. Our goal is to have you resume your academic life as soon as possible. This meeting is designed for you to:

  1. Learn about support resources such as Disability Support Services, our Center of Counseling and Student Development, Student Wellness and Health Promotion, Student Health Services, and the Office of the Dean of Students.
  2. Connect with your college for excused absence notification.
  3. Discuss realistic expectations for college life.
  4. Discuss options for academic adjustments such as reducing your course load or taking a leave of absence.
  5. Look at other opportunities to connect at UD that will promote your well-being and success.

Our staff strives to make this meeting open and friendly. We know that this may be a trying experience and we are here to support you and your goals at UD.

Student Crisis Fund

Visit our new Help with Essentials webpage for details on several resources available to UD students experiencing food insecurity, financial concerns, or difficulty maintaining access to housing or technology.

Responding to Sexual Misconduct and Discriminatory Harassment

The University of Delaware strives to create an environment where all members of our community are celebrated for who they are and what they bring to campus. If you would ever experience an incident of discrimination, our office is committed to supporting you. We can discuss various advocacy and counseling resources, methods to file an official complaint with the university, and/or legal reporting options. Our main priority is you and listening to your needs.

The Office of Equity and Inclusion is responsible for UD’s Sexual Misconduct and Non-Discrimination Policies. You can connect with them online or by calling 302-831-8063. Their office is located in Hullihen Hall 305. If there is emergent need for support or services related to sexual misconduct or harassment, please call UDPD at 302-831-2222 or dial 911.

The Office of the Dean of Students does have reporting obligations in terms of incidents of sexual misconduct. This means we must share information with the Office of Equity and Inclusion. The purpose of this is to ensure students gain access to more information about resources, support, and accountability options. We understand that sometimes students want to discuss incidents of sexual misconduct and not have it reported to the university. Two resources that allow greater confidentiality are our Center for Counseling and Student Development and Support of Survivors Peer Educators. Both are confidential support services for students at UD. Both can be reached after hours through our 24-hour, 365-day UD Helpline at 302-831-1001.

It is our hope that you will connect to university resources if you are a victim of sexual misconduct or other forms of discrimination. You will find a variety of affirming, caring, and committed staff ready to assist you. Finally, please support your fellow Blue Hens if they come to you about an incident discrimination or sexual misconduct. Encourage them to seek support. Offer to walk with them to the Counseling Center or other office. If you are not sure what to do, you can always refer them to our office as a place to start.