The University of Delaware is committed to promoting a safe working, learning and living environment for all members of the campus community. The Student Behavior Consultation Team (SBCT) develops support plans to promote student health, wellbeing and successful academic experiences; and promotes campus safety through an active process of threat assessment and behavioral intervention. Representatives from Student Life and Campus Safety meet weekly to share information and develop action plans. The SBCT also seeks information from and consults with faculty and staff to identify problematic behaviors.
If you observe a situation or behavior that gives you concern for student or campus safety, trust your instinct. Contact the Student Behavior Consultation Team by by filling out the above form.
In an emergency, please call 911. On or near campus, you will be routed to UDPD.
Please include as much information as possible. The who, what, when, where, and how is always helpful but not required. Anonymous reporting will not be accepted. However, every effort will be made to protect the confidentiality of individuals reporting information.
The following positions make up the core membership of the Student Behavioral Consultation Team.
Assistant Vice President/Dean of Students (SBCT Chairperson)
Director, Case Management and Student Advocacy/Associate Dean of Students
Associate Director, Case Management and Student Advocacy/Assistant Dean of Students
Director, Center for Counseling & Student Development
Associate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel
Director, Community Standards & Conflict Resolution
Director, Disability Support Services
Executive Director, Residence Life & Housing
Associate Director, Residence Life & Housing
Deputy Chief, UD Police
If, after an initial evaluation of a student safety concern, the SBCT believes that consultation with additional members of the university community is required, contacts will be made on an as-needed basis.
- Meet weekly to share information and develop action plans
- Perform initial assessment of risk and refer cases to offices and officials as needed for additional assessment
- Develop specific strategies to manage potentially harmful or disruptive behavior to protect the safety and rights of both the student and the University community
- Make recommendations to University officials on appropriate actions consistent with University policies and procedures
Are you concerned about a student's wellbeing? How do you know whether it's time to refer a student to SBCT?
Potential SBCT Responses:
- Assist faculty or staff in developing a plan of action
- Refer to or continue support services such as:
- Academic Advising
- Center for Counseling and Student Development
- Community Standards & Conflict Resolution
- Residence Life and Housing
- Health Services
- Student Wellness and Health Promotion
- Disability Support Services
- Others as needed and appropriate
- Refer for support coordination through the Office of the Dean of Students
- Recommend involvement of family/emergency contact
- Recommend implementation of emergency suspension and/or campus ban
- Conduct a threat assessment
- Recommend consideration of voluntary or involuntary leave
- Involve University of Delaware Police Department
- Continue monitoring situation without immediate action
When appropriate and possible, the SBCT chair will communicate to the reporting individual the status of the case and next steps and will encourage continued communication.