Frequently Asked Questions

How can I obtain an excused absence?

You may contact the office of your academic assistant dean for your college. The assistant dean in your college provides student academic support and advisement.

Students are expected to attend all their scheduled classes and laboratories and not to be absent without adequate reason. The responsibility for defining attendance expectations is left to the individual faculty member, subject to the guidelines detailed in the “Class Attendance” policy in the Undergraduate Catalog.

What is the difference between taking a leave of absence and withdrawal from UD?

A leave of absence is considered temporary with the intention of returning. When a student takes a withdrawal, it is assumed they do not wish to return to the University. There are several leaves available to students. Listed below are the categories of leaves of absence followed by the contact for the office responsible for processing the leave:

  • Educational Leave
  • Personal Leave

Contact your academic assistant dean if you wish to withdraw or take any of the leaves listed above.

  • Medical Leave

Contact our office at 302-831-8939 or

  • Military Leave

Contact UD’s Coordinator for Student Veteran Services at 302-831-0552 or

How do I withdraw from the University?

You may contact the office of your academic assistant dean in your college. A list of academic assistant deans can be found here.

How can I find off-campus housing?

Visit to find available properties and roommates.

I do not agree with the grade that I received in my class. How can I resolve this?

You may follow the Grade Grievance process outlined in the Student Guide to University Policies.

Who can I speak with regarding an issue that I am having with my off-campus roommate or landlord?

Contact our office at or 302-831-8939 to speak with a member of our staff. You may also review our Off-Campus Living Guide for more information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and roommate.

Who can I speak with regarding a financial concern?

You may contact Student Financial Services at 302-831-2126 or online. If you are still unsure of your options and path forward, please feel free to contact our office at or 302-831-8939 to speak with a member of our staff.

How can I obtain a Dean's Certification?

Please contact our office for the certification form, which can be completed and emailed to or mailed to:

Office of the Dean of Students
University of Delaware
101 Hullihen Hall
Newark, DE 19716

Please provide the contact information for whom the completed certification should be sent. The turnaround time for Dean’s Certifications is approximately 2 to 5 working days.

Where can I find a private space?

Individual students in need of a private space can now book online using our 25Live scheduling tool.

25Live Scheduling Guide [PDF]

Book Individual Space

Learn More

Division of Student Life Resources

The Office of the Dean of Students is part of UD’s Division of Student Life, which contributes and facilitates critical learning and development within healthy, inclusive and supportive communities so that all students may thrive at UD and beyond.

We recognize that success looks different for every student, as does their network of UD mentors. Know that everyone is here to help, whether you are thinking about your identity; mental, physical, or emotional wellbeing; personal, educational, or professional pursuits; or how your campus engagement can pave the way for future success.

Students seeking support on campus have a wealth of resources at their disposal including staff, programs and services throughout all Student Life units:

Campus and Local Resources

Support for student success extends far beyond our Division of Student Life. Students struggling academically are encouraged to reach out to their faculty as soon as possible, and to take advantage of campus support units including:

Academic Resources
Office of Academic Enrichment (OAE)
OAE offers individual and group tutoring assistance, and can help you develop stronger studying and time management skills through a variety of methods.

University Writing Centers
The Writing Centers are a place where Blue Hens can come to write, as well as to talk, think and learn about writing. One-on-one writing tutorials and draft feedback is available.

Student Multimedia Design Center at Morris Library (SMDC)
The SMDC offers consultations on many multimedia-related topics such as graphic design, video production, photography and more, in addition to providing equipment use and rental at no cost to students.

Personal Resources
Office of Equity and Inclusion
The Office of Equity and Inclusion providing leadership and support in creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for all in our community. OEI is responsible for Title IX, affirmative action policies and compliance, university diversity initiatives, and on-going education to the campus community in all of these areas.

Local Resources
Our staff is here to support all students, including those returning from a stay at a local emotional or psychological treatment facility. While Student Life offers a wealth of services for your wellbeing, additional resources available to you upon your return include:

Recovery Response Center
The goal of crisis intervention services is the prevention of unnecessary or inappropriate hospitalizations of a person experiencing severe symptoms of a mental illness or substance related problem. By providing services in the community, staff can better assess the consumer’s environment, support systems and current level of functioning. They can gain a clear understanding of type of treatment and support services that will be needed.

Whether you or a loved one is looking for mental health or addiction treatment services, they are happy to answer and discuss any questions you may have. Their goal is to create a safe and caring environment for those in need.

Rockford Center
The mission of Rockford Center is to serve the needs of our region’s mental health consumers by offering all patients and families outstanding healthcare services that are consistently trauma responsive, empowering and respectful, and which promote and sustain recovery. This critical mission is accomplished by working in partnership with individuals, families, healthcare providers, and other community stakeholders.

Undocumented and DACA Student Resources

University services are available to students regardless of immigration or citizenship status. These include admissions decisions, financial aid, the protection and security provided by the UD Police Department, care from Student Health Services or the Center for Counseling and Student Development, on-campus housing, emergency housing, New Student Orientation, internships, and research programs. The Office of the Dean of Students seeks to advise undocumented and DACA students and advocate for their individual and community-level needs. As awareness increases about UD’s undocumented and DACA student population, resources for undocumented and DACA students are growing.