Students who have studied at the ELI for at least four sessions (8 months) without a break and who have qualifying grades and attendance may be eligible to take a vacation for up to two months outside or inside of the USA.
A student should request a vacation if he/she plans to:
- Take a break from the ELI for one or two months (the vacation can be inside or outside of the USA;
- Return to the ELI after they have finished their vacation;
- Students who plan to travel outside of the USA for more than 2 months (or who choose to extend their vacation for more than 2 months) must apply for a leave of absence.
Vacation eligibility requirements:
Students must meet all of these conditions in order to qualify for an official vacation:
- You must have studied at the ELI for at least four sessions (8 months) without a break.
- You must return to the ELI to study full time in the session immediately following your vacation period;
- You must otherwise be maintaining your visa status.
Important Note: Students are not permitted to return late from their travels. Any student who tries to return to the ELI later than the return date that was authorized will not be allowed to return to the ELI. Instead, the student will be required to skip a session. This often results in a Leave of Absence and termination of the student’s I-20 form and visa!
Vacation request process:
- Complete the online Travel/Vacation Request form at least two weeks before the end of the session.
- Wait for the vacation decision. Normally, vacation decisions are made during the last week of the session. When a decision has been made, you will receive an email.
- Contact the ELI Financial Office (email@example.com). Students who go on vacation are required to pay one-half of the tuition PLUS insurance and clinic fees before leaving.
- Take your I-20 form to OISS at 413 Academy Street. OISS will do the final authorization of your vacation.
If you have questions about the Vacation Form, please contact the ELI Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.