This is the important information that you need to know about getting a driver’s license in Delaware.
- Do you need a driver’s license?
- Required documents (Delaware only)
- How to get a driver’s license
Do you need a driver’s license?
- You can drive in the U.S. for up to 60 days with a driver’s license from another country.
- You must get a driver’s license within 60 days.
- If you do not have a license from another country, then you must get a license (from the state you live in) before you can drive.
To get a license you will need the following documents:
- Passport (unexpired)
- F-1/F-2 Students:
- I-20 (it must be valid for at least 60 days)
- I-94 card
- J-1/J-2 Visa holders
- DS-2019 or IAP-66
- Social Security Card (or Letter of Ineligibility)
- If you do not have a Social Security Card, you may request a “Letter of Ineligibility” from the closest Social Security Administration Office:
- You must bring your I-20, passport, and I-94 card to the Social Security Office
- TWO documents that contain your address to prove Delaware residency. For example:
- Utility Bills
- Credit Card Statements
- Auto Insurance policies
- Bank Account Records
- Rental Agreements
- Other non-personal mail postmarked within the last 60 days
- Note: Mail must have been delivered by the US Postal Service and be postmarked or received within the last 60 days; photocopies or printouts of bills will not be accepted. Non-business letters/cards will not be accepted. Each of the two proofs of residency must be from separate sources and must display the person’s physical address, not a P.O. box
- If you do not have two proofs of Delaware residence yet, and would like the ELI to send a letter to you by mail, you can request it here:
- Remember to bring the envelope with you when you go to the DMV
- Please visit the DMV website for the addresses of local Delaware DMV offices >
- See Pennsylvania DMV locations >
- See Maryland MVA locations >
How to get a driver’s license (Delaware only)
- Go to one of the local DMV offices
- Complete a driver’s license application.
- Take an eye exam to test your vision.
- Take the driver’s license examination. This includes a written test about driver laws and take a driving test on the road. See more information on the DMV website >